Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to try 26" tire insted of 28".

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 04:23 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tee-boy
I'm from the club that says go with more tire than you need (particularly in a bracket race), and match the tire / redline via the appropriate gear.

If you run tire limited class guess you can't go w/ more tire than you need.

I love watching these big tire cars that run in the 10's with open headers. I think to myself "what a waste".
Your first and third comments contradict each other.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dfdfd

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Your first and third comments contradict each other.
Yes they do. I was just to lazy to clarify.

Let's say the school of "just a tad more tire than you need".

Someone is argumentative.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Let me also declare this:

Big tires are for 1700 lb dragsters.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Let me also declare this:

Big tires are for 1700 lb dragsters.
Put the beer down, son.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:21 AM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Put the beer down, son.
Heck, I thought he was smoking something. Just beer, huh?

Usually, when somebody doesn't know a whole lot about drag racing, they would look at a ten second car with big tires and ask themselves "Wonder why they do that?", instead of "what a waste". I remember being in my twenties though, when I thought I had all this stuff figured out. Before I hit forty I realized I would likely never have it all figured out. I'm 66 now, and I KNOW I'll never figure it all out.

I do know ten second Super Stock cars and bracket racers use big tires so they can always hook the same no matter what track prep and starting line temps are like.

I use 10.5 X 30" radials becasue they are faster (on really good, cool tracks the 9" X 30" radials are still faster) than the bigger tires, but on some tracks the guys I race with big tires can still run the same times, when I'm having trouble spinning the tires. Many times I've wished I had mine back halved so I could put some bigger tires under it.

Super Stock (some of those dumb-assed ten second big tire cars) use torque converters that hit the tires a lot harder than what most of you guys use (according to your on line "polls") which makes for much better 60' times, but are much tougher to hook. Trans brakes hit harder so are tougher to hook also. Go to an NHRA race, walk through the Super Stock pit areas and count how many fast cars use your brand torque converter.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Heck, I thought he was smoking something. Just beer, huh?

Usually, when somebody doesn't know a whole lot about drag racing, they would look at a ten second car with big tires and ask themselves "Wonder why they do that?", instead of "what a waste". I remember being in my twenties though, when I thought I had all this stuff figured out. Before I hit forty I realized I would likely never have it all figured out. I'm 66 now, and I KNOW I'll never figure it all out.

I do know ten second Super Stock cars and bracket racers use big tires so they can always hook the same no matter what track prep and starting line temps are like.

I use 10.5 X 30" radials becasue they are faster (on really good, cool tracks the 9" X 30" radials are still faster) than the bigger tires, but on some tracks the guys I race with big tires can still run the same times, when I'm having trouble spinning the tires. Many times I've wished I had mine back halved so I could put some bigger tires under it.

Super Stock (some of those dumb-assed ten second big tire cars) use torque converters that hit the tires a lot harder than what most of you guys use (according to your on line "polls") which makes for much better 60' times, but are much tougher to hook. Trans brakes hit harder so are tougher to hook also. Go to an NHRA race, walk through the Super Stock pit areas and count how many fast cars use your brand torque converter.
thanks Ed. I don't remember my 20's as well as you. I've got your personality type pigeonholed.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks Ed. I don't remember my 20's as well as you. I've got your personality type pigeonholed.
But, you're a dodo-bird when it comes to declarations.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:44 PM
9-Second Club

Just how fast an ol' boy are ya?

Last edited by Ed Wright; 02-12-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Getting away from the previous comments. This is my opinion.....

I have run on a set of 26" tall ET Drags. They were a set borrowed from TheChef. They work awesome compared to different drag radials that I have used previous. IMO and of JL's, it was due to the car race weight(high), a M6 Trans, and the need for the side wall give in the Bias Ply.

The tire work in these parameters well since I was making around 385 rwhp. BUT the car worked so well it needed a drag bar and shocks (since which I have purchased and put on).

The advantage of a 26" tall tire IMO is for street cars that want to go after a number at the track and while though it is not the most optimal set up, people LIKE ME do that. My Street car is def more "racey" then the average street car but I can run the same 4.10 gear and not fear for it being "knocked down" to a different ratio due to th 2" difference. So off the line it will help.

DEPENDING on power level, suspension, race weight, drive line etc etc, tire requirements change and I agree, put the biggest tire the class allows in there and if you CAN get away with a radial, all the better.

So in closing, if people with street cars who want to race but do not want to run a 4.30+ gear ratio or run that ratio and have to run on a 28" tall tire all the time. The 26" Biasplys is a reasonable alternative.

Just remember, all cars are different and all cars may need a different tire. The 26" tall tire does close the safe window where successful runs will be come less and less. On a shitty track your probably going to be blowing the tires off more and thats not even getting into difference in the compounds of Drag Radials, ET Streets, and ET Drags.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm still wondering what would be ideal for my setup.. Lots of info and wisdom to share, pass some this way!

Any help is appreciated, even "you are running the right tire for your combo and needs"!
Old 02-12-2010, 04:24 PM
10 Second Club

ed,Yes a 1.42 is good in a street trim m6,3,700lbs car. I can daily drive the car.I can run top end down the highway and get over 20mi per gal with heat,power everything,leather int,,ect.Can the out law's do that.....NO. My car is a street car that runs 10's N/A. My boys car pro style does 1.2's. Should I compare my car to that one....NO Stick around,My new set up this year should net me 1.3's in a street car.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mike c.
ed,Yes a 1.42 is good in a street trim m6,3,700lbs car. I can daily drive the car.I can run top end down the highway and get over 20mi per gal with heat,power everything,leather int,,ect.Can the out law's do that.....NO. My car is a street car that runs 10's N/A. My boys car pro style does 1.2's. Should I compare my car to that one....NO Stick around,My new set up this year should net me 1.3's in a street car.
FWIW, I think that is VERY impressive.. Not too many people at those power levels are cutting those kind of 60' times..

I'm shooting for mid-high 1.4Xs with 375Rwhp but I am a stalled A4 so....
Old 02-12-2010, 09:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lemons, have you even cut a 1.4x short time?
Old 02-12-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TA1364
Lemons, have you even cut a 1.4x short time?
Yes... Are you going trying to help or are you fishing?

I have a legitimate question but can't get a response from the gurus.. I would LOVE to hit some low 1.4s... Fastest to date is a 1.49. That was with stock 16s up front not tuned and in a 2000+DA. I'm sure with the current setup 1.46 is very possible. Would be cool to squeeze just a tad more out though, every little bit helps.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:30 AM
9 Second Club

Well for what it is worth most have seen my thread where I went from 26" ET Drags S to 28" ET Drags S and have yet to be able to get to the 1/4 mile yet due to the weather but the times in my sig were on the 26" ET Drag S.

Best 60 foot so far was 1.38 NA and 1.34 on a 75 shot of dry nitrous! As most of you know my car is a 346 CI Engine at 3,350+ lbs. with 4.10 gears and TH400. The 60 foot times above are footbrake times.

I will say the 1/8 mile testing so far with the 28" ET Drags looks like when I do get to the 1/4 mile track I may be setting new best times.

I was using the 26" ET Drag S on my car in the video in the sig! Take a look at that video and tell me a 26" tire won't hook!! But then again it is one of those slow 10 second cars!

N2
Old 02-13-2010, 09:25 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by lemons12
Yes... Are you going trying to help or are you fishing?

I have a legitimate question but can't get a response from the gurus.. I would LOVE to hit some low 1.4s... Fastest to date is a 1.49. That was with stock 16s up front not tuned and in a 2000+DA. I'm sure with the current setup 1.46 is very possible. Would be cool to squeeze just a tad more out though, every little bit helps.
I think you've gotten some decent feedback in here from guys to and against it. Guys that have had success with a smaller tire and others that went the bigger tire route and have impressive 60' times.
Not sure what you're looking for
Time for you to pick a tire and try and make it work.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:27 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by N2RACINGLS1's
Best 60 foot so far was 1.38 NA and 1.34 on a 75 shot of dry nitrous! As most of you know my car is a 346 CI Engine at 3,350+ lbs. with 4.10 gears and TH400. The 60 foot times above are footbrake times.

I was using the 26" ET Drag S on my car in the video in the sig! Take a look at that video and tell me a 26" tire won't hook!! But then again it is one of those slow 10 second cars!

N2
Very impressive, especially on that small tire-I'm impressed-Nice Job!!
Old 02-13-2010, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tektrans
I think you've gotten some decent feedback in here from guys to and against it. Guys that have had success with a smaller tire and others that went the bigger tire route and have impressive 60' times.
Not sure what you're looking for
Time for you to pick a tire and try and make it work.
I picked one already!

I see where N2Racing went to a 28" and said it looks like he will be setting a PB in the 1/4. What about the 1/8? That is all I run and care about.

Can anyone explain why a 28" would let you ET better than a 26" if you dead hook on both? I always thought hooking them up you would always ET better (mph less) with a shorter tire and ET worse (mph better) with a taller tire.

I'm just confused I guess! I want the best tire!!!!!!!!!!!! (I know I know.. There is no "best"!)
Old 02-14-2010, 12:01 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by lemons12
I picked one already!

I see where N2Racing went to a 28" and said it looks like he will be setting a PB in the 1/4. What about the 1/8? That is all I run and care about.

Can anyone explain why a 28" would let you ET better than a 26" if you dead hook on both? I always thought hooking them up you would always ET better (mph less) with a shorter tire and ET worse (mph better) with a taller tire.

I'm just confused I guess! I want the best tire!!!!!!!!!!!! (I know I know.. There is no "best"!)
Borrow some friends different tires and take them to the track and experiment. You never know until you try. I run a 16" DR that is a little over 26" height and they hook good considering my setup. Best ET and 60-ft is in the sig. Average 60-ft is 1.47 on a decent track. Raceweight is 3,560-lbs. I'm sure a 28" would do better, but I still street drive my car quite a bit.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
Borrow some friends different tires and take them to the track and experiment. You never know until you try. I run a 16" DR that is a little over 26" height and they hook good considering my setup. Best ET and 60-ft is in the sig. Average 60-ft is 1.47 on a decent track. Raceweight is 3,560-lbs. I'm sure a 28" would do better, but I still street drive my car quite a bit.
I'll give some 28s a shot..

Isn't one of the materials better, as in bias ply or whatever for A4s and M6s?

Quick Reply: Going to try 26" tire insted of 28".