Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler/Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 05:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Muffler/Exhaust question

I'm finally making my "race car" a trailered car now.

So my exhaust is coming off I think.

Right now I'm running a Borla catback off my hooker headers, but with my 2 step, I'm afraid a couple more wicked back fires and my muffler is going to blow! lol

I've got some 3" SST exhaust tubing, run one from each header to right before the rear tire?

What about the torque loss from the lack of backpressure? Should I throw a muffler on each side, if so, what one?

Plus I know there is a sound requirement for NHRA, correct?

Stock LS1, MS3 cam with spray.

No cats right now, or in the future, obviously
Old 03-12-2010, 06:57 AM
9 Second Club

I used to run a y pipe with a bullet 3 inch bullet off the end and then it dumped in front of the year with my old set up 370 w/ms3 cam
Old 03-12-2010, 07:13 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If you have no rules to go by for noise, I'd put a turndown off each header, aim it towards the ground under the car/towards the center/ground, and be done with it. No rules to follow for noise, and if the racing you plan to do is not requiring a muffler of any type I'd run absolutely nothing at all, other then the turndown.

That will help keep the underside of the car a little cleaner, other then that reason, you don't even really need the turndown.

Dead weight, anyone telling you the tq loss or any of that will matter, hasn't tried just dropping all of it off and tuning for the open headers.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
If you have no rules to go by for noise, I'd put a turndown off each header, aim it towards the ground under the car/towards the center/ground, and be done with it. No rules to follow for noise, and if the racing you plan to do is not requiring a muffler of any type I'd run absolutely nothing at all, other then the turndown.

That will help keep the underside of the car a little cleaner, other then that reason, you don't even really need the turndown.

Dead weight, anyone telling you the tq loss or any of that will matter, hasn't tried just dropping all of it off and tuning for the open headers.
Okay cool!

I didn't know if the NHRA had a sound requirement or not. It's just an ls1, so it's not going to be that loud.

Don't have to worry about bending a pushrod or anything with that short of an "exhaust"? Or is that only if you had open shorty headers LOL
Old 03-12-2010, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

an ls1 w/ open headers is just as loud as any other 10:1 small block w/ open headers.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm gonna be running a set of these off of the header, some 3" pipe off of that and then two series 10 single chambers with turndowns dumped before the axle.