Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need traction help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need traction help!

I've been having a tough time getting my car to stay hooked up at the track. I have QA1's all the way around with the stock springs in the back. BMR control arms, panhard rod, bigger rear sway bar, and front sway bar removed. I tried 26" et street radial last year and couldn't get them to hook so I changed to 28" et street radials to see if they would help. I have tried my front shocks from 0 to 7 and the rears from 4 to 9 and it won't stay hooked. I have an air bag in the right rear that I run at 25lbs which seems to keep it level. It will hook hard and then spin every time. It seems to get a little better if I tighten the front but I just can't figure it out. Here are some videos from yesterday. The first pass I had 19psi in the tires and it spun a couple of feet out. The second pass I dropped the tires to 16psi and tightened the front shocks up one click and it shook the tires so I had to let out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThABLdT7C7s

http://www.youtube.com/user/MV0924#p/a/u/2/YTq3p0xeEvc
Old 03-21-2010, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

Usually if I shake the tires I need to come down another lb. or so on the tires. What hole do you hace LCA's in?
Old 03-21-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jcoker
Usually if I shake the tires I need to come down another lb. or so on the tires. What hole do you hace LCA's in?
That's interesting. I always thought that if you shake the tires you didn't have enough tire pressure. I will try lower next time.

I have my lca's in the middle hole which is -2 degrees and my pinion angle is set to -1.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:22 PM
10 Second Club

QA1 R's or F series in front? If F's they just need to be tighter in general. Your car is transferring weight fine so no need to move it all at once and then unload. With your setup, the next time out I'd start with both the front and rear shocks high around 8 or so. start the tires at 18 and run two passes, 17 & 2 passes down to 15 or 14. don't touch anything while doing this. Go back to the best pressure and then start working on the shocks. I'd prolly do the front first. No matter what you change only change one thing at a time until you know what works in different conditions. then you can change to a certain setup after you know what the track is doing. somewhere in your suspension is a workable setup, just takes time to find. you can cut out a lot of this time if you want to pop for some better shocks though.

Last edited by Top Fuel; 03-21-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The car's pulling the tires too quickly, tighten the front shocks back up to about 4, leave the rears on 7, and start messign with the air pressure.

If that doesn't solve the issue, ditch the radial tire, your track may just not prep enough for them to consistantly work. Set of 28x10.5S et drags will probably surprise you with the results, if you can't get the radial to consistantly hook. You have enough mph for about 10.40
Old 03-21-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not sure if I have F's or R's. They are single adjustables that I bought from Texas speed a long time ago so they are probably F's.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
The car's pulling the tires too quickly, tighten the front shocks back up to about 4, leave the rears on 7, and start messign with the air pressure.

If that doesn't solve the issue, ditch the radial tire, your track may just not prep enough for them to consistantly work. Set of 28x10.5S et drags will probably surprise you with the results, if you can't get the radial to consistantly hook. You have enough mph for about 10.40
I thought it was pulling too quickly so the last pass was with the fronts on 7. Next time I go I will put them on 8 or 9 and see if that slows it down it enough. I hope you are right about the mph. The lower my 60' is the higher my mph is so if I can get it to 60' like it should I'm hoping for 10.30's@129 or so. If I can get some more weight out of it should run pretty good for NA.