Sponsored by:

tire size/ride height/suspension questions/advice please

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 08:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tire size/ride height/suspension questions/advice please

Car is a 4th gen f body ('98 Trans Am)

I currently have the Hoosier 30" radial slicks out back and 26" MT Sportmans up front. Suspension/ tires have worked well for my old combo-best of 1.29 60' and 9.59 in the 1/4

Now the new motor is well over 100lbs heavier, larger radiator (more fluid) heavier intake etc.

I've also put in a lexan rear window and removed the factory wing-easy 60lbs outta the rear.

The cars suspension is kinda set up like a stock eliminators car would be, leaves wheels up on the wheelie bars. (see sig pic)

I'm thinking that going with 28" tires up front and raising the ride height a bit will help me transfer the weight better with the new stuff but my new motor is a nitrous motor, makes about the same power N/A as my old one but I will be spraying a 300 shot on top of that.

My question I guess is, is it realistic to expect my stock eliminator style suspension get me down the track with the new power I'm adding?

The car is street driven so I'd like not to slam it down low but it's track 1st, street 2nd so I'll do what's necessary.

What do you guys think?
Old 04-08-2010, 10:10 PM
9 Second Club

My set up is 26 in the front 28 in the back. 3:73 Gears. One thing to consider is your spring rate up front. I had to go to a 315lb spring in the front with the iron block

Last edited by dnkynrbk; 04-08-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:17 AM
9 Second Club

I just bought a set of 325's.
I had 300's up front and had the spring cranked up pretty good but I guess with the iron block, billet intake and larger radiator the car is slammed up front, un-driveable.
Bout a set of 325's and shock spacers, that should do it as far as the ride height goes.

Quick Reply: tire size/ride height/suspension questions/advice please