Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinion angle effects?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 07:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pinion angle effects?

Going from 1,2,3 degrees of pinion angle what does it do to the launch characteristics?
Old 03-26-2011, 09:15 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Other then adding bind to the driveline, nothing. These cars, when set up with rod ended suspension don't need pinion angle to correct the driveshaft angle under accelleration.... which is essentially the main purpose of putting pinion angle in. It compensates for the axle "wrapping" around, like it would do in a leaf spring car.

We don't have that issue.. so it doesn't do a damn thing from my exp. I tried everything from 0 to -3, and it never changed anything. I leave it at about -.5, no need for any more then that.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amen, JL... think of pinion vs. driveshaft angle only as a setting to optimize the torque transmission through the u-joint, where driveshaft to pinion angle is zero under max torque, namely in low gear where torque multiplication is greatest. Flexible stock-style suspension needs more down pinion than tight race-style, and .5 degrees, while on the low side for a high torque car, is a good setting for a tight suspension.

Quick Reply: Pinion angle effects?