Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaved Handles and Drag Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 05:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaved Handles and Drag Racing

Ive shaved my handles, LOVE the look. But, im also planning on drag racing. Some have said that shaved cars arent allowed to run at some tracks. This i can understand, its a safety issue, if a door is reliant on electricity to open, it is prone to failure in the event of an accident preventing driver extraction. But if a cable, or some other purely mechanical mechanism were implimented for drag purposes, wouldnt this negate their reasoning for not allowing shaved handled cars from racing??? anyone have info on this or know where i could get a more cut and dry answer? Ive got an idea on how to machine some quickly removable parts that will function as a door handle but at the same time leaving my car cosmeticly unchanged for show.
thanks
Scott
Old 02-18-2004, 05:49 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need something on the outside that anyone can grab and open the door. I'm not sure how NHRA/IHRA words it, but a guy I knew had shaved handles and he had to put a metal rod in the door sticking up that opened the door when he raced it, otherwise they wouldn't let him pass tech. Call up the division 4 tech director and ask him or go online at www.nhra.com and maybe there's some wording on it in the rulebook.

Derek
Old 02-28-2004, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

friend of mine has shaved handles on his 68 camaro. he has a plastic coated wire with basically a large key ring on the end. He has it sticking up on the outside of the window so anyone can grab it and pull up to open the door. It has passed NHRA/IHRA tech,and he also runs PRO/NMCA.

i think he has a picture or 2 on his website,www.rhodescustomauto.com go to finished cars and look for the RED 68 Camaro.

Quick Reply: Shaved Handles and Drag Racing