Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring 4 post kill switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring 4 post kill switch

Guys I have my battery relocated to the rear and I need a kill switch to run at the track. Can someone help me out on how to wire my 4post switch up? I was pretty confident it was fuseboxes, and starter to one side of the switch, the battery on the other side. Then run the power wire from the alternator to the alternator circuit and then the other side to the battery. I was 90% confident in this setup until I check on Longacre's site and it said the alternator circuit is rated to 25 amps

I was thinking I could hook the alt, starter and fuseboxes together and attach the exciter wire to the alternator circuit on the kill switch, but then I read that the exciter wire is just there to tell the alternator to turn on, and has nothing to do with stopping it.

Hopefully Im just overthinking this...

Last edited by XtremeDime; 04-29-2011 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:24 AM
TECH Addict

I think Im overthinking this. Alt and batt to one side of the switch, and fuse boxes and starter to the other. Does that sound better?

Last edited by XtremeDime; 04-29-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.dragstuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=837

I found that link in a quick search. There is a guy that explains the two small posts on the four post switch are for the alternator charge wire. So you would hook the starter and acc wires to one large post and the other large post is to battery positive. Normally you would attach the alternator to the battery side of the switch but the four post switch has it's own dedicated alternator terminals.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
I think Im overthinking this. Alt and batt to one side of the switch, and fuse boxes and starter to the other. Does that sound better?
Yes, stuff that makes power on one side. Stuff that needs power on the other. Flip the switch and it breaks that connection. Ground accordingly.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
http://www.dragstuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=837

I found that link in a quick search. There is a guy that explains the two small posts on the four post switch are for the alternator charge wire. So you would hook the starter and acc wires to one large post and the other large post is to battery positive. Normally you would attach the alternator to the battery side of the switch but the four post switch has it's own dedicated alternator terminals.
I found that too but my switch has a note that says the alternator circuit is only built for 25 amps. I might just wire it up the way you would a 2 post and be done with it lol

Quick Reply: Wiring 4 post kill switch