Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gimme some good tips for an A4 (I already did the search.)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 11:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gimme some good tips for an A4 (I already did the search.)

I am going up to the track tomorrow and I could use some advice for my first time

I have a stock TC. What technique is best for a launch?
I have 245/40/18 Nitto (they are ZR's not DR's) what psi and shoud I do a burnout?
do you always want to go at the light or wait for the other guy to leave?

Thanks for the responses guys
Old 03-17-2004, 12:36 AM
Launching!

Thumbs up A short tutorial

HHMMMM.....Lets see..

Drive around the water box so you dont get your front tires wet and drag water up to the start line. Don't even bother wetting your rear tires just spin 'em enough to shake off the road crap. Street radials were not really made to "heat up"

You will just have to feel the throttle out for your best launch. Roll about half throttle on from the start and then roll into WOT.

Okay staging and the actual "start...

Both of you will roll up to the start line. Be aware the start line is not at the tree it is about 30' in front of the tree. I don't know how many times I have seen newbys roll right up to the tree and sit there wondering what the hell! Anyhow, roll up to the line, there are two sets of two yellow bulbs at the top of the tree. Roll up till you light the top set. If the car you are racing has not lit his, wait, it is the courteous thing to do, till your opponent has lit his. This is the prestage. After both yours and opponents prestage are lit roll up very slowly until you light the lower bulbs. You are now staged..this is where **** starts to happen fast.

The tree lights will start to lightdown. You wanna launch on the last yellow, something like this

YELLOW
YELLOW
GO GO GO GO GO
GREEN

Don't wait for the green light to light. As soon as you see that last yellow roll into your throttle going WOT as quickly as you can while maintaining traction. Not as easy as it appears

Good luck have fun the tree is addicting!

here is a link to practice on

practice tree

Ken
Old 03-17-2004, 07:55 AM
12 Second Club

Cool, great link by the way. Lets me know what I am looking for. What do you think about the psi on my tires though. Should I lower them or should I leave them alone?
Old 03-17-2004, 10:34 AM
Launching!

What he said

Stay away from the water box, pull around it. Just do a quick burnout to get the dust and other crap off your tires. Pull up to the line until you see you are prestaged (however I always pull on up to being staged hehe) and wait for the guy next to you.

On the 3rd yellow light is where you need to gun it. It's about .5 seconds off from one another I believe. By the time you give it some gas and the reaction of the car the light will be green

Frist time at the track I would just run on into it. Do go WOT on the launch, wait till you hit about 15 to 20mph then do so. Just to get hang or feel of the track.

Then on the 2nd run, try going WOT off the line and see how well you run. Just remember anytime you start to break traction and the rear feels like it's about to pull around, get OUT of the gas. I've seen several people stay into it and bam, hit the wall. There's always another chance to run down the track so don't let it bother you =)

And lastly, run about 25psi since they are street tires. I wouldn't go any lower than that. What I ran on my BF Goodrich KDW tires and pulled a 1.89 on my 60'
Old 03-17-2004, 12:57 PM
12 Second Club

I think that about answers all. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:32 PM
Teching In

Interesting thread - first I have read on 100% stockers.....
Thanks!