Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro Stars and lug nuts and studs, oh my ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 01:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pro Stars and lug nuts and studs, oh my ...

I figured this would have been beat to death, but searching still leaves holes, so perhaps someone can fill in the blanks.

I got the Pro Stars. The stock studs are clearly too short. I went to the local speed shop and got a set of Moroso studs - too small. Took them back and got the next bigger set. Too big. The counter man (acutally, the owner) says just run the small ones and weld them down. Uhh, the Moser has steel axles so that could work, but the front hubs are a casting or forging which bothers me. Beside it seems a bit ghetto to put in studs 0.020" small and assume that getting a wheel that much off center won't matter. The man says those are the only sizes made (checked Mr Gasket too), but I know damn well ARP makes studs that fit. But, a forum search convinced me that the ARPs won't pass tech with Pro Star wheels. I saw some guys recommend a 3" GM stud, which other guys said were a POS and snapped just driving around. Some say you need 1/2" studs in back to keep them from bending/snapping. Someone else has 5/8" studs in back, but I know that will require drilling. I am planning on 1.6 or less 60s, so don't want to ghetto this. So one idea getting a 3" x .560 stud but I'm not too sure about freehand drilling a 9/16" hole in the axle. The front hubs will fit in a drill press, but not the axles.

Do you free hand drill?
Will GM studs really snap?
Can you weld to the front hubs?
Do 7/16" studs bend/snap on H/C cars?
Any other suggestions, ideas, etc?
Old 04-04-2004, 05:25 PM
10 Second Club

Surely someone knows ...

Another puzzler - the GM stud PN 22551491 called 3" seems to be listed by GM as 68 mm, which is more like 2 5/8. That is not significantly different than the ARP????
Old 04-04-2004, 05:33 PM
8 Second Club

I ordered my wheel studs and lugs and washes from Summit for $80 for the 20 needed.

Quick Reply: Pro Stars and lug nuts and studs, oh my ...