Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weight ballast question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 09:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default weight ballast question

I have a 82 mustang notch that has a 70 pound weight located inside the rear bumper support. This was installed by previous owner to make weight for his class when he used to run nmra pure street in the early 2000's. Car currently has run a best of 7.58 in the 1/8 with a 1.71 60 on 255/60 m/t drag radials with a 5.3 carb motor.

Question is should I remove it or does it help with weight transfer? Car weighs in around 2980 with me.

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:38 AM
TECH Regular

I would make some passes without it, to see if it helps or hurts your particular setup.

Al
Old 10-15-2014, 11:23 AM
Teching In

To remove it I will have to take off the bumper cover and unbolt the rear steel bumber support. The weight is bolted inside the channel. Just wanted to get a couple of opinions on it.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you dont have to meet a weight the car will ran faster, be safer, and easier on parts when lighter.

thats a limited tire class so it was helping. ie- it wasnt put there(on the rear) to not help traction.

So if you remove it its going to change alot of things on the car, and it might not hook the same without it. So I would bring tools and the weight to put it back in. If you take the car out without it and its just blowing the tires away your going to want to put it back, so just plan for for that, or putting some of it back. Ive done thats and its a tottal wast of a track day.
It would be a good idea to have the car scaled now with the ballast, and write down all the suspension angles, lengths and setting. So you have a base to work off and/or go back if it starts going in the wrong way. (and remember the weight on the rear will change the cars ride heights) And you can look for other things on the car to move, or replace with lighterto get it ballanced better back to know it is now, with the ballast removed. I bet the past owner got to the point of under weight, so getting the car lighter as a waste of time and money. But you can still work form that on thouse unchanged/stockish parts/areas to help with no min weight now.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:35 AM
Teching In

Took the weight out this morning. Was 70 exactly. I'll post up results in a few weeks and let you know how it did.

weight ballast question-forumrunner_20141025_113522.png

Quick Reply: weight ballast question