Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car isn't planting mostly spinning...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 09:15 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Thought I read earlier that you were spraying car, my bad I have a couple different threads of similar questions/issues I am replying to.

If you're planning on spraying it I wouldn't do anything until you see what it does with that added into the picture as you're going to be starting all over again.

As suggested for now up the air pressure, may want to up it until you see some spin in the first 20 feet then back it off a lb. I'd tighten the front end up a setting or 2 as I think it raises too quickly and settles too quick.

When you go to spray it hit it right out of the gate off the transbrake. No delay nothing, start there and see if the car and your typical track prep will take it. Tighten front end a couple additional settings for first hit and put tires back to 13 for first hit.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Thought I read earlier that you were spraying car, my bad I have a couple different threads of similar questions/issues I am replying to.

If you're planning on spraying it I wouldn't do anything until you see what it does with that added into the picture as you're going to be starting all over again.

As suggested for now up the air pressure, may want to up it until you see some spin in the first 20 feet then back it off a lb. I'd tighten the front end up a setting or 2 as I think it raises too quickly and settles too quick.

When you go to spray it hit it right out of the gate off the transbrake. No delay nothing, start there and see if the car and your typical track prep will take it. Tighten front end a couple additional settings for first hit and put tires back to 13 for first hit.
I think instead of delay I was meaning to say ramped it is setup to be sprayed straight out of the whole and it will pull the wheels all day of that hit of course, but thanks for the advice I am going to try the more air pressure thing and I need to look into how to adjust these strange shocks up front! Trying one thing at a time though so I know what made a difference and what didn't
Old 09-04-2015, 03:50 AM
Banned

The 500hp was on an engine dyno? What's the weight of the car? I think the 60ft and et is from power and converter with a heavy NA car. When you start spraying that converter will be a good bit loosser and 60ft times will be cut. I don't know your cam specs, but guessing off of horsepower and being all motor I think your car with a 4200-4500 stall would drop a tenth on 60ft. I think you need to hurry up and spray that thing to see what you have and work from there.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From what I saw in the video it looked like the car starts to transfer then the front stops lifting and settles back down quickly and you see the weight shift back to the front. What shocks are on the front? If they are adjustable, where are they set? looks like you have too stiff of rebound on them
Old 09-04-2015, 09:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by badhombre
From what I saw in the video it looked like the car starts to transfer then the front stops lifting and settles back down quickly and you see the weight shift back to the front. What shocks are on the front? If they are adjustable, where are they set? looks like you have too stiff of rebound on them
I have strange shocks I was trying to find some info with the settings on the shocks like witch way is more rebound or less. I think left is less and right is more at least that's what I would think
Old 09-04-2015, 10:03 AM
Race your car!

Slowing extension would be a help front just looks too loose on extension
Old 09-04-2015, 10:26 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nx_black97
I have strange shocks I was trying to find some info with the settings on the shocks like witch way is more rebound or less. I think left is less and right is more at least that's what I would think
All Strange shock valves are the same... clockwise to stiffen, counterclockwise to loosen. The single adjustable shocks are only adjustable on the extension, the compression is set.

You can try to tighten up the front shock extension to help promote the car moving forward instead of up, and aid in wheel speed at the same time. If you have LCA relocation brackets on the rearend maybe move the LCA up one hole toward the rearend.

You have a lot of variables and depending on what you are doing will change what setup will work the best. Foot brake, transbrake, nitrous or not... all of this will affect what the car needs.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:58 PM
Staging Lane

Slowing extension would be a help front just looks too loose on extension
Originally Posted by ssvert99
All Strange shock valves are the same... clockwise to stiffen, counterclockwise to loosen. The single adjustable shocks are only adjustable on the extension, the compression is set.

You can try to tighten up the front shock extension to help promote the car moving forward instead of up, and aid in wheel speed at the same time. If you have LCA relocation brackets on the rearend maybe move the LCA up one hole toward the rearend.

You have a lot of variables and depending on what you are doing will change what setup will work the best. Foot brake, transbrake, nitrous or not... all of this will affect what the car needs.
So i probably need to tighten the shocks up a bit and give that a try?? & i do have lower control arm relocation brackets they are welded on my 12 bolt. & it is one hole up towards the rear end now! I must also add that my front end has the travel limiters on it

Last edited by nx_black97; 09-04-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:15 PM
Race your car!

I would tighten the front end up a good bit, start there. I don't like using travel limiters I prefer the shock to control the up travel rate, and it usually results in a more harsh unload when the tires touch back down. I know it prevents wheelies, I have used them to stop just that and it works, but the shocks if the extension is slow enough will effectively do the same.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

I would tighten the front end up a good bit, start there. I don't like using travel limiters I prefer the shock to control the up travel rate, and it usually results in a more harsh unload when the tires touch back down. I know it prevents wheelies, I have used them to stop just that and it works, but the shocks if the extension is slow enough will effectively do the same.
Yeah on nitrous it wants to stand on the bumper but they help with that. I tightened them up two clicks passed what they were on and ran my tires at 13 pounds and made the car actually way more consistent and felt better on top end. Lost by one 1 thousands on Saturday and today went to forth round and had .005 red. After all car ran dead on numbers and did awesome just me on tree and really tight on finish line on Saturday night but that's bracket racing for ya! Although there was a 5.90 Fbody there Saturday night spraying the **** out of it!!
Old 09-15-2015, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

Car finally had a 1.59 60ft on motor I knew it had one in it on motor car ran best of 7.22 last weekend when normally running way slower. Again this is on a very tight converter off footbrake. Only able to launch at about 2 grand on footbrake. Can't wait to spray the car and see what kinda 60 fts I get then! Think I'm about done for this season though need to finish up the car this winter. Lots of mods in store hopefully! Thanks for all the suspension tips and tire pressure recommendations
Old 09-18-2015, 09:30 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Anything in the 1.5 range is promising, you're knocking on that door! Keep up with testing, make sure you start keeping run logs with all your setup info, even weather conditions and track temps. it's tough to gauge where the car really is at with the converter setup right now, but once you start to lay more power to it some things will need to be adjusted. Hit us up, be glad to help.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ssvert99
Anything in the 1.5 range is promising, you're knocking on that door! Keep up with testing, make sure you start keeping run logs with all your setup info, even weather conditions and track temps. it's tough to gauge where the car really is at with the converter setup right now, but once you start to lay more power to it some things will need to be adjusted. Hit us up, be glad to help.
Thanks! I am running at super Chevy this weekend and will be recording some off of transbrake I know everyone runs a bit slower there but hopefully have some fun. If I can get progressive controller cable for my fjo which I'm currently on the hunt for I might make some nitrous hits during the fall. But the suspension adjustments have truly helped and more tire pressure
Old 09-18-2015, 11:25 AM
Race your car!

First grand take hit take a lb of air out of the tires. It's going to hit them a lot harder and this may assist in planting them and prevent excessive wheel speed. Other than that put it on the brake, foot to the floor and let it eat.

If you do get your nitrous hooked up take the lb out of the tires, tighten the front extension 2 more for the first hit and try to just leave on all of it, or delay the hit a tenth of a second to start, or leave on 75% and all in at .2 as you should not need much more power management than that.

Quick Reply: Car isn't planting mostly spinning...