Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Short Bus

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 08:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Project Short Bus

Me, fade2blk500, my room-mate, and another friend are all pondering a short bus project.

I know this isn't an ls1 (yet), but this is the only board I really hang out on to ask. I also one day want to build up an ls1 for it (lol).

- The test vehicle would come equipped with a chevy 350v8 and a th400 likely, as those are common drivetrains for the short bus's.

- The wheel chair ramp would be cut out, most of the seats removed, and a sawzall would get rid of tons of various un-needed metal.

- The engine would receive a moderate sized cam (must have good idle), aluminum heads, headers (not sure on clearance), a 4 bbl carb, a victor or rpm intake (depending upon what we choose as our intended powerband), a set of quiet mufflers and a 100-150 shot.

- The transmission would be freshened with parts to handle the extreme stresses of a 5000-7000lb vehicle, and have a mild stall. Possibly a transbrake?

- If available a single rear (no duallys) wheeled bus will be used, and we will be searching for a tire solution, perferably a tire that will not be a dead give away. I'm not sure what comes in most, but I'd think dana's are in some. Also not sure what gear ratio's are available?

- If the gas tank is ridicously heavy (I assume it is), it will be replaced with a fuel cell.

Anybody else done a similar project or have any ideas as to what else could be done to help out? Suspension? Weight reduction? Our goal is to break into the 14's to beat most of the honda's down in this area. I'm not sure what we could do for tires.. rearend, etc.

However, keep in mind we hope to complete this project with a low budget ($4000-$5000 total). Meaning a $1000 investment from each of us at minimum. I have seen bus's with some miles on em go anywhere from $1000-$2000.

Any ideas are appreciated.. is this retarded.. can it be done? The ET calculator says yes, but physical factors due to weight might not make this possible within our price range.

Thanks,
Josh

P.S. We will be putting "You got beat by the short bus" or "You got taken to school" on the back where the school name would go.. lol.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:38 PM
11 Second Club

funny and a good idea if we were all millionaires... but since were not sounds like a complete waste of money
Old 06-25-2005, 08:57 PM
11 Second Club

I don't mind sinking a thousand bucks if the project is cool enough.. And theres so many of us down here who want to do it.. lol.

I'm hoping somebody with knowledge of buses (maybe who worked repairing them?) will chime in.

We actually have a couple of sbc parts around the garage already, btw.

Josh
Old 06-25-2005, 11:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

carbon fiber Nitrous bottles will save some weight! Think of all the bottles you could fit in there!
Old 06-26-2005, 07:29 AM
Staging Lane

This is probably a bit more wild than your planning, but very cool none the less. This thing is somewhat local to me, it used to cruise around Dover DE all the time. Haven't seen it now in a couple years though. It's actually got a Caddy 500something cubic inch front wheel drive drivetrain in it.

Kinda neat i think.

Eric

EDIT...forgot the damn link

http://www.shortcuthigh.com/album.html
Old 06-29-2005, 02:29 AM
11 Second Club

it'll happen