NHRA RULE CHANGES FOR 2006 .. please read

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 09:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NHRA RULE CHANGES FOR 2006 .. please read

NHRA RULE CHANGES FOR 2006
Protective Clothing Changes
The Protective Clothing of the E.T. section of the NHRA Rulebook states which jacket and/or pants are needed for 10.00 and slower and 9.99 and quicker.
Supercharged, turbocharged, or nitous-equiped cars, with or without a full OEM or .024-inch steel firewall. Please review the Protective Clothing sections, Section 1A – Superpro, Pro, Sportsman and Section 1B – Advanced E.T. of the 2006 NHRA Rulebook.

Section 1-A, located on page 24 of the 2006 NHRA Rulebook read as follows:
10.00 (*6.40 1/8 mile) and slower; all E.T. non-OEM supercharged, non-OEM turbocharged, or nitrous-equipped cars with an OEM or .024-inch steel firewall: Jacket meeting SFI Spec 3.2A/1 mandatory

10.00 (*6.40 1/8 mile) and slower; all E.T. supercharged, turbocharged, or nitrous-equipped cars without a full OEM or .024-inch steel firewall: Jacket meeting SFI Spec 3.2A/5 and gloves meeting SFI Spec 3.3/1 mandatory.

10.00 (*6.40 1/8 mile) to 11.49 (*7.35 1/8 mile): Jacket meeting SFI Spec 3.2A/1 mandatory.

The same Spec for Advanced E.T. is located in Section 1B, located on page #27 of the 2006 NHRA Rulebook.

What’s Needed At 135 mph?
For 2006, the Rulebook clarifies that any vehicle that runs faster than 135 mph must meet minimum requirements for 9.99 –seconds. In year’s past, this 9.99 and/or 135 mph break was not clearly defined in the e.t. section of the rulebook, leading to some confusion.
The minimum requirements for any vehicle that runs 9.99 or runs faster than 135 mph includes an NHRA chassis certification, NHRA competition license, and upgraded safety equipment (neck collar, jacket and pants, and gloves).
Further details about the 9.99 requirements may be found in Section 1A – Super Pro, Pro, Sportsman section of the 2006 NHRA Rulebook, beginning on page #18.

Computers
During NHRA competition, no portable computer (e.g., laptop, PDA, Palm Pilot, programmer, ect.) may be used or located in a vehicle at any point beyond the staging area ready line. All functions or values must be pre-set prior to this point. This includes Grudge Race and Time Trial runs.
Page #224 of the 2006 NHRA Rulebook.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:11 AM
12 Second Club

I know I'm not answering your question, and I apologize... but I have a question.

Do the rules you just stated mean that any car with full firewall running nitrous, the driver is required to have a sfi 3.2A/1 jacket? Even if (for example) you only run a 50 shot and only hit 12.80?

sorry for the thraedjacking
Old 02-03-2006, 12:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1_Bad_LS1
I know I'm not answering your question, and I apologize... but I have a question.

Do the rules you just stated mean that any car with full firewall running nitrous, the driver is required to have a sfi 3.2A/1 jacket? Even if (for example) you only run a 50 shot and only hit 12.80?

sorry for the thraedjacking

its ok.. .i didnt really have a question.. was just putting up the new rules for everyone to read.

I guess the easiest way to find out would be to talk to your tech guy at the local track. But the way it was explained to me by two different track tech officials was that if you have ANY aftermarket power adder... then the jacket is required.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Smitty's05gto
its ok.. .i didnt really have a question.. was just putting up the new rules for everyone to read.

I guess the easiest way to find out would be to talk to your tech guy at the local track. But the way it was explained to me by two different track tech officials was that if you have ANY aftermarket power adder... then the jacket is required.
But only if you are running in an ET bracket race series? Would test-n-tune be exempt?
Old 02-03-2006, 05:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

. It was on Test and Tune days that both tracks told me it would be required.

Test and tune would not be exempt.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Smitty's05gto
. It was on Test and Tune days that both tracks told me it would be required.

Test and tune would not be exempt.
Ok, that is consistent with another report I found where a guy was told that at a TnT. Dayum. I guess it can't hurt to have a suit on. If I hit the wall and get knocked out and the car starts burning or flips over and I'm pinned, well, I guess if I don't suffocate that is I might have a better chance.

Someone start a "where do I get a good suit that fits/effective" thread...
Old 02-05-2006, 02:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LC2nLS6
But only if you are running in an ET bracket race series? Would test-n-tune be exempt?

NHRA rules apply at an NHRA track whenever they are open. it doesn't matter the occasion. everything from top fuel to local grudge nights and test and tunes have to pass tech for the speed their car is capable of.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:36 AM
12 Second Club

Ok, with those questions answered...

What is the IHRA's stance on these rules?
Old 02-06-2006, 09:51 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The IHRA will have their own rules. Some may maintain parity or they may be totally IHRA specific. As fars as the NHRA rules go, the 135 MPH cutoff would treat your car to the safety standards for cars running 8.50 to 9.99. That includes the 10 point cage, multilayer fire pants, jacket, gloves, etc.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Would a factory power adder car then be required to have a fire jacket, even if stock? Like say, an '03 Cobra or a DSM? Or just aftermarket power adder?

Would that also then mean an aftermarket upgrade of the factory power adder too? Such as a KB on a Cobra?
Old 02-06-2006, 10:39 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, if it has Nitrous, Blower or Turbo as the rules are written and the car did not have those as OEM options you would be required to wear a firejacket at a minimum.

A Cobra, DSM, Cobalt SS, ION Redline, WRX, etc. would all be exempt because they were OEM equipped. Now, if you added Nitrous to your Cobra the way those rules are written, a firejacket would be required. If you add a turbo to your Escalade you would also be required to get a firejacket.

The rules don't specifically state that an aftermarket upgrade to an OEM power adder would require it. Personal opinion, it's relatively inexpensive to buy a single layer fire jacket. Stick it in your trunk and if you catch flack you at least have one.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

For those who are interested... The IHRA is not following suit with this, just got of the phone with an IHRA tech guy and he said the 06 rule book has nothing about power adder cars requiring jackets... only 11.49 and faster...

*Sorry, I know this is a thread about the NHRA, but not all of us have an NHRA track around...*

Quick Reply: NHRA RULE CHANGES FOR 2006 .. please read