Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default please help!!!!

I bracket race my 2000 trans am every weekend. It is an automatic with a vigilante 3400 stall & MT drag radials. I also installed a borla catback & use a hypertech for tuning shift points and top end speed limit mainly. My question is some cars I see at the track run very consistent, but my car can vary 3 tenths from round to round with no apparent pattern such as weather or anything. I have installed aftermarket temp & tranny temp guages and bought a weather station to try to fix the problem. Any suggestions???? Thanks in advance. Rick
Old 02-06-2006, 07:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does your 60ft vary at all???

225-343-9029
Old 02-07-2006, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is the first pass usually your quickest?
did you put in a shift kit when you did the converter?...really nead more info.
Torque management is more than likely the culprit.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

Ok sorry I did'nt go into much detail, but I did'nt want to get to long winded. Now that I have your input I will try to give you more info. First of all I will say I am a veteran drag racer everything from trucks to motorcycles and now my TA. I'm very carefull staging the car the same every pass,consistent burnouts, temperature within 1 or 2 degrees with a digital guage for water and trans temps. I really dont think the car is spinning with only 1.8 to 1.9 60' times with drag radials, but my 60' times do vary more than what I'm used to. Here is an example from my log book for a day at the track....1.902,1.877,1.931,1.864,1.857. The car ran all five passes this day between 13.25 and 13.35 but a tenth difference is not good enough in bracket racing and sometimes it really goes crazy like I said earlier. Most of the time the first pass is the quickest but I figure that from being hot off the street. The shop that installed my converter said I should'nt install a shift kit so I did'nt should I have? I have no tuning or programming done other than the hypertech stuff. Other people mentioned torque management but just to go faster not for consistency does the tm vary shifting of the car from one pass to another? Oh by the way I put the car in drive and let it shift itself because I always go from 1st to drive when I try to shift manually since I'm used to a ratchet shifter in my other cars could this be a problem? Ok now I feel like I've bored everyone to death now but this is all I can think of for now. Thanks
Old 02-07-2006, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Torque management can really skew the timming, through in a some knock on top of that and it can kill any chance of consistancy. You could certainly benifit from some good tunning.
I used to bracket a 99 LS1 with a vig. 3200 and I saw a good improvement with the addition of a Trans-Go shift kit!!!...I know where your tranny guy is comming from...But with good tunning you should not have any problems at all. I have never had any probs with a shift kit. I would vacuum modulate the line pressure and upgrade the clutch packs on that 4l60e if it were me so that the stock computer (and tunners ) can't jack with the line pressure. Just make shure that you have a tranny guy that knows what he is doing if you decide to put in a shift kit.
Oh, and yes, letting the car shift is a good thing w/ the tranny that you have.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the info maggie
Old 02-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

anyone else have any ideas??