Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alcohol LS2 drag car

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alcohol LS2 drag car

I also posted this in the LS2 forul but its not a very populare part of this site.

I have come across a salvagable c6 corvette which I am going to turn into a drag car to run a 9.90 index class.

The question I have is, should I take the ls2 out and sell it and get a race motor or can I get that engine to run on alcohol (methenol) and go in the 8s on all motor (I will also be doing the carb conversion to the motor). The car will be purly a drag car and will not be street legal so it will be light.

I suppose if I do FI to get it into the 8's it would become less consistent?
Old 08-07-2006, 07:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the LS2 would be cool, but if your running at nhra and ihra divisional and national events and you break something, its gonna be a lot harder to find what you need for an lsX based motor. Plus its cheaper to build a small block or big block.

Methenol is an awesome fuel and is very popular in the 8.90 class which is 90% dragsters which run deadly consistent. you can get a LSX based engine to run on methenol with a mechanical pump and a carb built for it.

FI will hurt your consistancy with weather changes, and with as close as the 9.90 guys are running on the index, I dont see the point in hurting your consistancy with FI.

On a money standpoint, It would be better to go the Small block or big block route, but it would be cool to see a lsx engine still between the frame rails.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by promod1955
the LS2 would be cool, but if your running at nhra and ihra divisional and national events and you break something, its gonna be a lot harder to find what you need for an lsX based motor. Plus its cheaper to build a small block or big block.
wow, I completly forgot about that, that really opened my eyes up. That made me remember how many times my dad broke somthing on his car and stayed up all night with 10 guys trying to fix his car lol. (well actually 3 helping and 7 other watching! lol) but I bet you know all about that one of the more fun parts about being at the track all weekend! (although not for the person who broke :/)

I wasn't quite sure how much FI would throw me off. thanks for the clarification!

Now the real question is, how much o I need to spend on turning a C6 into a drag car without the price of a motor.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i build drag cars for a living. send me a pm and i can give you a rough idea. ide do it on here but im not a sponser. and of course it all depends on what components are used. All the little stuff adds up. of course engine/trans/rear end combo have a big effect too.