Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid motor mounts ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Solid motor mounts ???

Do I have to run a poly trans mount? The reason I ask is with my yank trans cross member a poly mount will not line up with the hole in the cross member. If i remember right, it's been almost a year since I changed to the yank cross member, the stock bushing has an off-set built into it (the stud is off-set from the tranny mounting holes) and on the poly bushing the bolt holes are lined strait up. I can modify the cross member, but I don't have the tools to do it here at home, I'll have to wait till I get some time away from customer cars and do it at work.

So I guess the question here is what happens if you don't run a poly trans mount?
Old 08-08-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i went and got the poly mount off the shelf and I think I can make it work here at the house by elongating the crossmember mounting holes some more and maybe a little on the mount. I won't know until I get the mounts in, I already took the stock ones off.

I'm still wondering why a poly mount would be needed with solid motor mounts and a relocated torque arm? It's not like there wil be much stress/load in the tailshaft area.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Junkie

hmm, i'm running solid mounts with a yank trans crossmember and a poly tranny mount and it worked, but now that you mention it, I was wondering why I was havin issues gettin **** to line up when I put the poly mount in there, got it to work though w/o having to modify anything, so dunno.

If I remember correctly, I had to put the crossmember on the mount and then get all 4 bolts for the crossmember to the body started and then just tightened everything down and it pulled it all into place.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got the spohn mounts in today after work and what a differance. I think the car is more pleasurable to drive now believe it or not. The car has darted around durring granny shifts ever since I put the locker in and the solid mounts cut all that out by more than half, and it doesn't buck around turns as much either. I guess the slack in the locker was shocking the stock mounts causeing the motor to torque to one side and then they would bounce back like rubber bands. I expected more vibrations, but it actually vibrates less now cause the exhaust isn't hitting the floor now.

The drivers side of the engine does get raised up a hair like I had heard, but it didn't affect anything. I didn't feel like messing with the poly mount, so I left the stock one in for now. Maybe some of you chassis builders lurking around here can answer my question about the negatives of the rubber mount for me?
Old 08-09-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SPEEDYws6
Got the spohn mounts in today after work and what a differance. I think the car is more pleasurable to drive now believe it or not. The car has darted around durring granny shifts ever since I put the locker in and the solid mounts cut all that out by more than half, and it doesn't buck around turns as much either. I guess the slack in the locker was shocking the stock mounts causeing the motor to torque to one side and then they would bounce back like rubber bands. I expected more vibrations, but it actually vibrates less now cause the exhaust isn't hitting the floor now.

The drivers side of the engine does get raised up a hair like I had heard, but it didn't affect anything. I didn't feel like messing with the poly mount, so I left the stock one in for now. Maybe some of you chassis builders lurking around here can answer my question about the negatives of the rubber mount for me?
I don't think there is a negative, i've always heard that you just don't want a solid tranny mount if you have solid motor mounts, never heard anything bad about having a rubber one in there, don't think it would be an issue, the only reason I put the poly one in was cuz I broke my stock rubber one (made a big booboo while pullin my motor out, was all excited to be building the motor and kind of rushin to get her out and I totally forgot to support the trans and I just broke the motor away from the trans and heard a crash and instantly was like oh ****, i'm an idiot, the tranny dropped to the floor and of course killed the stock mount that was in there, luckily no damage to tranny or converter, landed right on one of the ears of the verter too).
Old 08-09-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's just in every thread I found searching somebody said to put a poly tranny mount in with solids on the motor as if something would happen if you didn't.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:39 PM
Banned

Somebody said they talked to spohn's tech line and spohn rep said it wasn't required. The solid mounts do kickass though! I love mine in my daily driver!

Nate
Old 08-09-2006, 10:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SPEEDYws6
It's just in every thread I found searching somebody said to put a poly tranny mount in with solids on the motor as if something would happen if you didn't.
Never had a problem when I had the stock one in there, you should be fine.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

I've had no problems with running a solid motor mount and a rubber mount on my T400, you will have to use spacers to raise the tranny up in alignment.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats good to hear, I'll just leave it in there then. Incase I forgot to mention... solid mounts rule!
Old 08-10-2006, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

the issue with solid motor mounts and a solid trans mounts is the tranny needs a little give. if you run all solid the tailshaft will break at the point of the mount.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Never said anything about solid trans mount.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:38 PM
12 Second Club

yeah you need some man, remember seeing that motor rolling around in that engine bay on your stock motor mounts