Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing abs

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default removing abs

what is the best kit out there to get?? i already have a hurst line lock so no need for one of those. also how is it driving on the street??
Old 08-18-2006, 10:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our kits are complete. They enable the user to completely remove the whole ABS bracket as well as the ABS moduling unit. We also include a Wilwood proportioning valve to correctly bias your front/rear brake pressures.

We can provide a kit to you for your hurst solenoid without having to re-purchase one. Depending if you have 3 or 4 channel ABS and if you have a double flare tool or not you'd need either:

LS1 car..., SJM-2ABSX3H 159.99 (no LL kit but flaring tool included) or SJM-2ABSX4H 139.99 (no LL kit and no double flaring tool). X=3 or 4 channel setups.

If you have a flaring tool, make sure it works well. We take our double flaring kits and modify them tig-welding a bolt halfway down the flaring bar. This keeps the flaring bar from deforming under load. This helps prevent the tubes from slipping through the flaring bar.

Kits are in stock ready to ship. If you order them before 1pm EST then it should ship same day, if not it will ship next business day.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:18 AM
Sweet Cheeks

Steve sells a great product and is awesome to work with FYI.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:51 AM
9 Second Club

yep,

i run SJM's ABS delete kit, and it works flawlessly for me. To be honest, the car actually stops BETTER. This is because i run bigger tires in the back than in the front, and the stock brake system cannot adjust for that, but my SJM/Wilwood porpotioning valve can~!

Everyone that sees under my hood is very impressed with the porportioning valve setup he sells.

Best of luck!
Old 08-18-2006, 11:56 AM
Flossin' twin turbos

sjm fo sho
Old 08-18-2006, 12:31 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks for everybody’s comments!! I'm happy that everyone has had positive results and feedback.

As Tim stated, a proportioning valve can re-bias the brakes so that you take advantage of full braking capacities. Locking up rear brakes before the fronts can create safety issues.

Removing all the extra components also benefits air flow and induces heat transfer from the engine more efficiently. A cooler engine bay with better air flow helps keep engine components cooler.

It also drops quite a bit of weight from the engine bay. Traction control folks loose up to 20 lbs!! Dollar for dollar, it is probably the most effective weight mod.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:41 PM
10 Second Club

I'm interested in this kit. I also have a Hurst LL. I do not own a flare kit or know if I need one. I have 4 Ch ABS, which kit should I get?

Also, if I delete the ABS, will I throw a code? can it be tuned out?

Last question, the Strange rear brake setup you sell, will the calipers clear Weld draglites without grinding?

thanks and sorry for the slight hijack .

Dan
Old 08-18-2006, 10:52 PM
9 Second Club

i bought my abs delete box from speed inc. dont know who makes it though
Old 08-19-2006, 09:28 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by DanZ28
I'm interested in this kit. I also have a Hurst LL. I do not own a flare kit or know if I need one. I have 4 Ch ABS, which kit should I get?

Also, if I delete the ABS, will I throw a code? can it be tuned out?

Last question, the Strange rear brake setup you sell, will the calipers clear Weld draglites without grinding?

Dan
Dan,

You need SJM-2ABSX3H (Choose 4 Channel from the drop down box) at $159.99 which includes pre-formed lines, all fittings, double flare tool, proportioning valve and directions with pictures. Our kit is not a delete box. Our kit completely removes the entire ABS modulator AND the ABS bracket which gives you the most weight reduction and removes quite a bit of clutter. Clearing up this clutter opens necessary room up for ease of work on the engine, i.e., headers, turbos, changing plugs, etc.

ABS is controlled by the EBCM which there is no tuning available. For LT1 cars we include directions to easily shut off your dash lamps for this. Unfortunately for LS1 cars the circuitry has changed and the only way to shut the lamps off are to pull them from the dash. Until you can do that, temporarily put a piece of black tape over it.

Strange drag brakes will clear the wheel without grinding. We also have the lines to directly connect your brake system to these calipers. Keep in mind, you will lose the emergency brake.

If you haven't purchased the draglites yet you may consider our Bogart wheels which do not require grinding on your OEM brakes. Check out our wheel gallery at: www.sjmmanufacturing.com/customer_cam.html
Old 08-19-2006, 01:22 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks Steve! I'll check funds and probably order the ABS kit and rear brakes on Monday.

I already purchased the Draglite's, they were more in my budget with all the stuff I'm doing as of late.

I have the axles out right now, does the Strange rear brakes require the outer axle bearings (Strange 12 bolt) be removed to get their backing plate on? Also, I want to delete the TCS, can I just leave off the reluctor rings and not use TCS? The reluctors are in my way anyway for putting in the new wheel studs.

Dan