Sponsored by:

"Quiet" 4" muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 05:52 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "Quiet" 4" muffler?

I currently have a magnaflow 4" oval race muffler, does anyone make a quieter 4" muffler?
Old 07-06-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Dynatech Splitflow is quiet, I have heard them on a car, VERY quiet.

I may switch to one, my 4 inch magnaflow at full song sounds like a pavement latemodel going down the frontstretch!!

We have a tunnel here where I live, if you stand on my loud pedal in the tunnel with the windows down it will ring your ears!
Old 07-06-2008, 08:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How does the Borla XR-1 do? I know when I put it in line with my Dyno max it sounds very tame
Old 07-07-2008, 10:50 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,103 Likes on 723 Posts

Your exhaust dump under the car right TS6, before the rear?
Old 07-07-2008, 01:24 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had a 4" bullet, splitflow, oval magnaflow and a DNA on my car. The magnaflow was the quietest. I wouldnt exactly call it sounding anything like a late model stock car.

Without a doubt the bullet was the loudest, then the DNA. then the splitflow, then the magnaflow. You pretty much arent to get a quiet 4" exhaust unless you go out the back with a chambered muffler, even the quietest of the four I tried is still crazy loud at WOT. Plus after about a year they start getting louder from the packing getting cheesed up.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:57 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
How does the Borla XR-1 do? I know when I put it in line with my Dyno max it sounds very tame
the borla XR1 is the baddest muffler i have ever used. pretty quiet with almost no restriction. my votre is for the XR1.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:03 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Your exhaust dump under the car right TS6, before the rear?

Yes.

KP, did you have the race oval magnaflow (straight through)?
Old 07-07-2008, 04:17 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,103 Likes on 723 Posts

I'm also a member of Mufflers Anonymous. I've had 4" flowmaster, Dynomax Ultraflow welded, Dynomax bullet, and now a Splitflow. I've also had 3" duals a few times, and the XR1's were the quietest duals I had. This current Splitflow is quiet but honestly you will need a chambered mufflers to really quiet the car down I think.

Maybe think about running exhaust to the back of the, necked down to 3", and run a stock muffler. And run a cutout under the car.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
I have had a 4" bullet, splitflow, oval magnaflow and a DNA on my car. The magnaflow was the quietest. I wouldnt exactly call it sounding anything like a late model stock car.

Without a doubt the bullet was the loudest, then the DNA. then the splitflow, then the magnaflow. You pretty much arent to get a quiet 4" exhaust unless you go out the back with a chambered muffler, even the quietest of the four I tried is still crazy loud at WOT. Plus after about a year they start getting louder from the packing getting cheesed up.
which one do you recommend to have if its only goign to be a track car and want the least restrictive?
Old 07-07-2008, 07:17 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by TS6

KP, did you have the race oval magnaflow (straight through)?
Thats what I am using now, they are all pretty much straight through that I used.

Originally Posted by pewter 01 SS
which one do you recommend to have if its only goign to be a track car and want the least restrictive?
They are all the straight through so they should all perform the same, the DNA and dynomax bullet were so loud it would rattle my ear drums even with the helmet on doing a burnout though.

The splitflow and magnaflow are pretty close sound level-wise, the magnflow has a much deeper sound, the spltflow is a little more tinny.

If you want light and loud as hell do the dynomax bullet, if you want the quietest I would say magnaflow. I havent had a XR-1 on here but I have used them on other cars, the spliflow oval is pretty much an exact copy except it isnt stainless and costs 1/2 as much.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:10 PM
10 Second Club

I just put two 3.5" Magnaflow race series in a row, inlet of one welded directly to the outlet on the other, quietest exhaust by far

Still completely straight through so the only downside is the added weight of the extra muffler, nothing in my eyes. DEEP as heck too.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by kp

Judge for yourself, its pretty loud

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0WConSQhjd0
Old 07-08-2008, 01:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

if ya want quiet. might as well not look at duels or race series mufflers. running it out the back will make it quiet inside ya car, but be the same outside, just not under you. just rattle whoever is behind you. haha.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kp
Thats what I am using now, they are all pretty much straight through that I used.

They are all the straight through so they should all perform the same, the DNA and dynomax bullet were so loud it would rattle my ear drums even with the helmet on doing a burnout though.

The splitflow and magnaflow are pretty close sound level-wise, the magnflow has a much deeper sound, the spltflow is a little more tinny.

If you want light and loud as hell do the dynomax bullet, if you want the quietest I would say magnaflow. I havent had a XR-1 on here but I have used them on other cars, the spliflow oval is pretty much an exact copy except it isnt stainless and costs 1/2 as much.

thansk for the info, do you think that splitflow is as quit as the magnaflow.

is this the splitflow you guys are talking about?
http://www.afabcorp.com/AFCO_Dynatec.../merchant.mvc?
Old 07-08-2008, 12:26 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by pewter 01 SS
thansk for the info, do you think that splitflow is as quit as the magnaflow.

is this the splitflow you guys are talking about?
http://www.afabcorp.com/AFCO_Dynatec.../merchant.mvc?
That link didnt work for me but there is only one oval 4" splitflow I think.

When they are new they are about the same, neither one is near quiet though. A chambered muffler is the only way you will get quiet with a 4" exhaust. I have a ton of videos with wither but you cant really tell the difference, but in the car I would say they are about the same. Just the magnaflow has a deeper sound at idle..

Quick Reply: "Quiet" 4" muffler?