Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Car lost power.. WTF?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 09:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Car lost power.. WTF?!

To start off with, the car is a 2001 Camaro SS M6.

Went to dyno this past weekend.. Added underdrive crank pulley and gutted my cats since last time I went, but removed my FTRA, but still have FRA. I was hoping to gain a couple hp. To my dismay, my car made the EXACT same power and torque from 2500 rpm (where dyno reading started) up through ~4200 rpm, then the power and torque was lower than before.. Around 4700 rpm both climbed back and matched the previous curves before falling off again around 5200 rpm and staying down through the end of the pull. The curve doesnt look quite as smooth, but its not so jagged I would think there is a problem either.

Before, with lid, S3, FTRA, and loudmouth, I made 342.6 rwhp and 355.3 rwtq.
Now, with same lid, S3, loudmouth, and the "new" SLP pulley, car makes 338.7 rwhp and 353.6 rwtq. Both sets of numbers are SAE corrected, and from the same place/same dyno.

My first thought was the SLP pulley was causing me to lose power, even though its supposedly been redesigned to prevent the high rpm false knock retard... However the car ET'd better and trapped higher consistently at the dragstrip with the pulley, and overall feels stronger and I have a noticeably more difficult time keeping traction which led me to believe there should have been some gains.

My second thought, maybe the FTRA made a difference on the dyno? Im going to put it back on this week and possibly try to dyno again this coming Thursday.

Another thought I had, since the curve doesnt look as smooth, maybe the car needs a plug change and its causing some high rpm misfire, so Im most likely going to put TR55s in before re-dyno also.

A friend brought up a point that I hadnt thought of... My car has an exhaust leak where the 2 sides of the y-pipe connect before merging together from where I broke a bolt on each side when I gutted my cats. He said maybe the exhaust leak is causing a power loss, which I dont see how, but then I thought maybe the leak is causing some sort of false knock? Im going to get new studs put in the ypipe and fix the exhaust leaks also mainly because its annoying as hell, but on the off chance that its causing a power loss. Anything is possible I guess.

Anyone have any input? After I change plugs, fix exhaust leaks, and put FTRA back on, if its still down on power I guess Im going to blame the pulley and replace it with an ASP. Id like to hear everyone's opinion though. Thanks for reading.

Later,
Chris
Old 12-05-2004, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was this on the same dyno as the previous one?
If your plugs are bad you will definetely lose some power.
If exhaust leaks rob horsepower, I better go and get mine fixed also .
Old 12-05-2004, 09:56 PM
12 Second Club

Yes same dyno. Both pulls SAE corrected. Didnt think exhaust leaks robbed power, but Im willing to try anything.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:36 PM
TECH Junkie

do u have o2 sims, the gutted cats would cause probs with that.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:30 PM
12 Second Club

no sims, i do have the SES light because of the gutted cats and no air pump.. (along with service vehicle and airbag light from where I changed steering wheels and my new one doesnt have airbag) I have always heard the lights didnt have an effect on performance though, so I wasnt worried about the SES light at this point, not until I needed to tune the car after cam or something like that and get it programmed out.... I guess thats something else to look into, couldnt hurt, thanks