Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Big parts change = barely a performance gain.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Big parts change = barely a performance gain.

I tried scanning the dyno's, but like the rest of the day, my scanner took a crap! Before I throw out the issues I have, I just want to say my car has only been on a dyno 4 times since I've owned it. Everytime was for tuning, so I'm not a dyno queen by far. The latest tune after some goodies has me really disapointed though. When I get the scans up you'll see that the tune is right on the money and the car runs great. If it wasnt for the lope you'd think my car was stock. So I'm baffled, I never had a baseline dyno, so that sucks as well. But once I throw up the issues the baseline really would not matter.

Its the same shop/dyno both times.
1998 Ta

On 3/09/2005
Mods were,lid/ Ls6 intake/ported tb/Hotcam/Asp pulley/longtubes/offroad Y/cutout/Hooker catback/0 smog equip/dbl chain/ported oil pump/Stock 323 rear/stock tranny.

I put down 360 hp/360 torque. 76* 28.11-hg std:107 Afr 12.65 across

Fast foward to today
All the same mods above but changed out cam to a comp shelf grind 228-230//571-573 on a 112. I'm also running the Crane acc lift 1.8's with that cam, so I'm up over .600 on the lift.I also installed a set of Patriot ported perimeter bolt heads with 2.05 I--1.60 E valves.I know not the best heads being perimeter bolt and all, but the numbers still dont make since. I also added a built 4l60e with a 3500 2.2 Fuddle street/strip stall, the $500 one.

I put down a whopping 380 hp/375 torque! 71* 27.73 in-hg std:108
afr 12.9

I have zero valve float and the valvetrain actually sounds quieter than stock. The timings right on and everything. Its not an install issue problem at all. It pulls pretty hard, but those numbers made me throw up in my mouth just a little!

Here's the kicker, I saved it for last. I did all the work in the second dyno about 3 weeks ago and still had the Hotcam in there and made like 375hp.Thats why I swapped out the HC last week thinking it was holding me back. The other cam actually has more power across the board and pulls harder up higher , but this sucks big fat donkey ***!

So the only thing I can think of is maybe I need to do a leak down/compression test. I cant see it being anything else. Maybe I need to bump the compression as well. Like I already said, the car runs great and just smokes alittle under wot. I dont know what else it could be.

Sorry for the long post, I just tried to get all the info out there. I know some are gonna say run it down the track, but with those numbers something isn't right. Maybe my car was low dynoing and the previous numbers were some how padded! I dont know! If there was a smiley with a guy putting a bullet in his head I'd be using it! Thanks for any direction!
Old 03-30-2006, 12:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might want to post up a graph for us. Also might want to put the stock rockers back on and give it another try.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeh, I'm going to get up the graph's as soon as I can get the scanner working. I dont think its the rockers at all. I dont see how they could be causing problems unless they weren't set up correctly. Even if it was I dont have my stockers any more.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:28 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know a ton about Automatics, but doesnt a stall eat up a fair amount of power? If you added a stall it would skew your numbers in comparison, I say lets see some graphs, because I bet you picked up power throughout the curve!
Old 03-30-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
Might want to post up a graph for us. Also might want to put the stock rockers back on and give it another try.

Id try the stock rockers as well. I have seen the same rockers cause a Z06 to lose 10hp completly across the board
Old 03-30-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Track numbers could tell the story. I know that higher stalls will eat up some hp. I've also heard that upgrading the rockers isn't really a good idea and can cost some hp. I'm sure once you get the graphs scanned somone will have some good advice.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Junkie

380 unlocked isn't bad at all.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeh, the convertor wasnt locked. I didnt know an unlocked convertor ate so much power. Does it matter though if you dont lock it while racing? After a good sleep, a few posts in here and the internal section, I'm not too worried about it. I think I just looked to much into it. I'm still going to do a leak/compression test. I'm going to try to get the graphs up later today. Even if I have to try and takes pics of the paper.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's the Dyno sheets. http://community.webshots.com/album/549088141cismum The Dyno 1 is the Hotcam. The dyno 2 is the Comp cam.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

The difference in the converter alone is a major variable, especially if they didn't lock it. As long as the car runs good & the tune is nice, don't worry too much about it. Track times will show you real gains.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah the first runs look locked whereas the second looks unlocked.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by foff667
yeah the first runs look locked whereas the second looks unlocked.
Thats why I was thinking they were padded or whatever you call it. I was told they were unlocked/standard the first time. It was a different person doing the dynoing. The first was also with the stock convertor. I just went to run the car at the strip, but there were so many cars I turned around and left. After sitting in line for 45 minutes before even reaching check in.

I'm not to concerned anymore. I'll eventually get it down the track. It pulls alot harder now though.