Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Who has a smoker for exhaust leaks

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i believe the O2s are not supposed to kick in at WOT to take away fuel only to add it if they read a lean condition. in my case the left bank is always lean and at WOT the BLM is at 150. i swapped the O2s around and the problem stood the same so the issue isn't with the sensors, injectors, or leaks. checking the plugs and wires next.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:55 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the car is down that much on power, I would suspect that a cylinder or two may be down - check the plugs and wires like you said...

The problem alot of times is with cheap headers leaking where the 4 primary tubes go into the collector. It is very hard to see or hear because it is due to the welding not being good in the middle of the tube group...
Old 03-26-2009, 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

i checked plug one a couple of days ago. i checked cylinder 1 because i was getting some real low heat readings using my IR thermometer from it. the plug looked normal. i thought if any one would be fouled it would be that one. i have to check all the rest. wires are practically new and they are pretty well protected. i do hope though the issue is with a wire or plug so that I can be over with this headache already. i'm going to try to check them out this weekend.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds more and more like opti problems. I'd do a leakdown just to be safe on every cylinder, if that and a compression check find everything to be good, I'd put new plugs and wires on it, see what that gets you, swap the O2's from one side to the other just to rule that out as well... if that doesn't work then I'd be swapping that opti next.

God damn opti-junk. The lt1 motor would probably be a decent platform if they hadn't put the worst ignition setup on it since the days of points. Hell, at least points were easy to change.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:39 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Sounds more and more like opti problems. I'd do a leakdown just to be safe on every cylinder, if that and a compression check find everything to be good, I'd put new plugs and wires on it, see what that gets you, swap the O2's from one side to the other just to rule that out as well... if that doesn't work then I'd be swapping that opti next.

God damn opti-junk. The lt1 motor would probably be a decent platform if they hadn't put the worst ignition setup on it since the days of points. Hell, at least points were easy to change.
well my opti is aftermarket msd unit farily new. wires are basically new msd 8.5 super conductors. i swapped O2s but that didn't change anything. getting my plugs changed as we speak.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:31 PM
12 Second Club

looks like shallow plugs may be the culprit. the verdicts not in yet but it looks like the plugs weren't going deep enough into the engine to ignite the fuel properly. we'll see once i drive and log the car. maybe they sold me gen1 LT1 plugs by accident when I ordered them.

Last edited by C_Rules; 03-27-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Race your car!

At this point, it sounds like you have covered everything, it's probably gonna end up being something screwy.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:56 PM
12 Second Club

changed the plugs logged the car and the problem is still there even got a little worse! at idle i'm reading the left side at full lean 160 and the right side at full rich 108
Old 04-27-2009, 07:49 AM
12 Second Club

okay so i did a few things first i set the passenger side to spit out three % less fuel on and that fixed that LT at idle. Then I added 5% to the left side but it remained lean as usual.

Funny how things work out...
I went to my friends house to return his compression gauge and one of his buddies was there. I asked them if they could listen to the car see if you hear anything weird. They told me it had a miss. So Im thinking damn this is going to be a bitch since LT1 wires are so hard to get too. Then his buddy says we'll find out which they are right now. So he goes right in and starts pulling off injectors harness plugs. Anyway long story short cylinders 1 & 7 are problems. Either no spark or no fuel. Taking the car today to see which it is. Hopefully I can get the problem fixed quickly. Running 6 cylinders, ran a 12.81with the a/f all over the place. Wasn't happy with those times but considering i'm down two cylinders I'm pretty optimistic i'll run alot better next time out.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:39 AM
12 Second Club

So I'm getting fuel and spark. Plug 7 has gas on it. Still cylinders 1 and 7 not working. Any thoughts?
Old 05-04-2009, 07:57 AM
12 Second Club

took the car to the mechanic cylinder 1 is now working but cylinder 7 is still down. seems to be internal possibly a bent valve or a bad ring. im hoping for a bent valve to avoid pulling the motor out.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:18 PM
12 Second Club

back from the dead. so the car kept running like couldn't run better than a 12.9. i couldn't dial in a proper a/f ratio either. so i took it for a leakdown test and there were some mechanical issues. got another rebuild and it turns out i had one cylinder overbored, the valves weren't seated correctly, and a ring was over gapped. i got a new block machined and had everything put back together. the car still ran like

i pretty much had given up at this point and refused to spend another penny on it except for maintenance. the a/c was blowing hot air so i took it to get the system filled with refrigerant. in the process the mechanic noticed the plug wire on cylinder 8 was arcing so i bought a new set. took the car for a spin and I couldn't believe it. the car was running the way it should have all these years. the thing hauls *** now. no more gas smell, no more split blms, no more vibrations during lockup, no more shitty gas mileage and a steady idle and a/f ratio.

my wires must've been bad for years but never did any arcing. i'm assuming they got screwed up sometime around the second rebuild. i kind of feel like since a wire change would have fixed my problem years ago but i'm just so happy this thing finally runs right. doing some minor tuning and taking it to the track soon.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:24 PM
Race your car!

I told ya on 3-26-2009 to put a new set of plugs and wires on the thing... I bet that the 2nd rebuild may, or may not have even been needed... that sounds to me like an engine builder that was looking for a problem since you told him it had one....

Had ya listened, way back then... well you already know.

Glad to hear it's back running and from the sounds of it running like it should. Good luck!