Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Need to borrow SBC/LT1 hot lash valve cover and rocker oil plugs near SYR/Rochester

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need to borrow SBC/LT1 hot lash valve cover and rocker oil plugs near SYR/Rochester

I've got some lifter noise on my LT1 I'm trying to chase down - I pulled the drivers side valve cover and found a couple on the loose side just checking for lash by moving the pushrod up and down so I went ahead and set them to 0 lash and added preload which quited things down for the most part, but I've still go one rocker making a little bit of noise and wasn't able to identify it with a second trip under the valve cover. Rather than continue to play around with trying to pin-point the noisy offender I think it would be easiest to just reset everything hot, with the engine running, and then call it a day for sure.

So, if anybody has a modified valvecover and/or 8 rock arm plugs I'd like to do this with as little mess as possible. I'm in Auburn, work in Syracuse, and don't consider Rochester to far out of the way at all if somebodies got me some stuff they can loan me. I'd even be happy to bring tool and just adjust them quick at your house, that driver side valve cover is easy enough to get off. Thanks guys.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, I had my LT1. I just adjusted when cold and prayed it work. I only hot lashed on my 70 Chevelle. If you can do what I see in the pic, get some stockers and cut a window in them.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Yea, I had my LT1. I just adjusted when cold and prayed it work. I only hot lashed on my 70 Chevelle. If you can do what I see in the pic, get some stockers and cut a window in them.
I definitely got things real close doing it cold, I have one that ticks a bit cold, and just faintly when hot - you can't hear it in the car unless you've got the window down, and you pull up next to another car, backing into the garge, etc. The only real draw back to continuing to play with them not running is that I can't rotate the motor easily, and as any former LT1 owner knows, getting the plugs out with stock manifolds in place is not a fun proposition. I could probably keep playing around, bumping the motor over with the starter, but I'd rather just get it 100%, and doing it running would easily get me there.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on my old 383 LT1, I noticed with anything other then stock valve train, there was always a noise and often could not decern between ticks.