Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

MD titling help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MD titling help?

I honestly have no idea where else to put this so let me start off my apologizing if this is completely incorrect, however it's relevant too maryland so it's worth a shot. I'm trading my tahoe for someones accord and I want to get it tagged, titled, ect but It's a swapped honda, so I don't think many things are technically legal about this car. When I asked the guy he said 'bring your own inspection sticker to tag it' and I guess the question I'm posing is, is this how it's done? The way I can make this relevant to ls1tech I suppose is say you want to buy a like 2000 ss or whatever, but it has a lq4 or insert motor swap in it, lowered, offroad y(no cats) all the bells and whistles, if you were to trade your vehicle title for title for this, when you go to register it you would just use fake inspection stickers?
Old 01-14-2012, 08:17 AM
Launching!

first off how are you getting fake inspection stickers, there is a reason there is two copies of it... one for the shop to mail in, and one for you to take to the dmv to get the tags... but the nice thing is you might and only might be able to get the street rod tags for it..... since its a major modification, Id try to find more info, as I dont think for street rod there is a limit on how old the car has to be. sounds like the guy has a hookup or did the work and hasnt had to go through inspection.... nor has he had to do emissions I am assuming. maybe he wants to get rid of it, because all the mods have made it a hassle.... call up the dmv dont tell them what you are doing just get information first...
Old 01-14-2012, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Haha, what's up man, I thought you were just going to pass on the car?

First of all, you have to figure out if the dude has a title for it, that's the most important thing. If he does, you're good, all you have to do is take the tint off the windows, make sure everything is working mechanically, remove the nitrous he had hooked up and it will pass inspection (you can take it to the Shell right down the street from us and they will do it), then you will have your inspection sticker. From there, just take it to the DMV with the inspection stickers and title and get your tags. Then emissions testing is a piece of cake as long as it isn't throwing any codes, which it wasn't when we went and looked at it.

But really, the main problem is whether or not he has the title for the car. If he doesn't, all bets are off, you just can't do it.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:59 PM
Teching In

lol chris we established that he had the title, just no paperwork for the swap and the dude got pissed when I said I didn't know how to get fake stickers and called it off. Thanks for the info though eroc.

Nice lift kit btw TransAm
Old 01-14-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stickers? We don't have inspection stickers in MD. You just get a little paper slip to take the MVA. Good luck finding a shop that will let you slide on stuff. The state takes inspections very serious. The fines for losing slips or passing an "unsafe" car are very expensive. I used to know a guy who had a shop that said he'd rather someone clean out his cash drawer than lose a single inspection certificate, because it's that big a hassle.

Now I don't know what one does performance-wise to a honda accord (or why? for that matter), but if emissions stuff is missing, i.e. cats, you risk failing emissions testing. Even though they test by computer codes, when I went a few months back they still had the dreaded mirror on a stick there. Even though I passed the computer test, he still took a pass with the mirror to check my setup, probably cause it's loud.

Other things to note, all factory safety equipment has to be there, so airbags/seatbelts/etc.., Window tint no more than 35%, no tint on any lights. Also, since it's been engine swapped you need to make sure it has solid motor mounts and that there are enough of them, same goes for the transmission.

Just my $.02, but I wouldn't buy a car when the owner tells me I need to get a fake inspection certificate for it. Sounds like he's hiding something. The inspection is done for a reason.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:35 AM
Teching In

Yeah its over with, guy seemed a little shady about somethings anyways...me and transam stopped by his house and a few things just didn't seem right lol. And I was looking at the inspection paper for my truck and the only thing his car LOOKED like it would fail on would be the seats and a few things suspension wise...There must have been something he insisted on keeping from me. I guess this was just a case of desperation blinding..been trying to get rid of my truck for a while and this is the closest I've gotten. Thanks for clearing that up for me though I'll be sure to be more careful.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Haha, what's up man, I thought you were just going to pass on the car?

First of all, you have to figure out if the dude has a title for it, that's the most important thing. If he does, you're good, all you have to do is take the tint off the windows, make sure everything is working mechanically, remove the nitrous he had hooked up and it will pass inspection (you can take it to the Shell right down the street from us and they will do it), then you will have your inspection sticker. From there, just take it to the DMV with the inspection stickers and title and get your tags. Then emissions testing is a piece of cake as long as it isn't throwing any codes, which it wasn't when we went and looked at it.

But really, the main problem is whether or not he has the title for the car. If he doesn't, all bets are off, you just can't do it.
Just an FYI my old SS passed inspection they just asked that I remove the bottle from the car. Its not illegal to have a system in the car, its illegal to have the bottle in it and hooked up.

Quick Reply: MD titling help?