Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Do any sponsors have experience installing a Maggie on a 4th Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 08:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Another vote for a procharger. As for the 'instant' low end torque argument, all that does is spin the tires and eat up tires. The procharger is nice because it is very reliable, can make more power than your shortblock can handle, and, in my opinion, sounds phenominal.
I just got done reading one of your old threads. You were looking for the same thing as I am now. Very rarely revving over 4,000, fun street driving with nice twisties. Everyone was suggesting a twin screw setup, what made you go with procharger later down the road?
Old 04-17-2012, 06:46 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mac62989
I just got done reading one of your old threads. You were looking for the same thing as I am now. Very rarely revving over 4,000, fun street driving with nice twisties. Everyone was suggesting a twin screw setup, what made you go with procharger later down the road?
Let me guess either they own mustangs or actually dont even owne a car with a twin screw.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:35 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I love the procharger on back roads, and will so even more when I drop back down to 3.42s and put some stickier tires on it.

The mid range torque is almost too much for the street right now because as I roll into the throttle enough to close the bypass valve, it's like hitting a shot of nitrous at part throttle. First and second gear are useless, but third gear is a lot of fun. It's plenty of power from 2500-5500 without worrying about pushing it too hard or winding out the motor.

I liked the Procharger because it's a proven platform and a lot of the complaints and shortcomings have been ironed out specifically belt slip, popping airboxes etc. It was also an easy install that I was able to do myself in my own garage at my leasure. To go with a twin screw just didn't appeal to me since it really hasn't been done that often on a 4th gen so the resources or assitance isn't really there. The nice thing about the procharger is if by chance one day I get bored of the D1, I can use almost everything I have and step up to an F1, and there's a large market for used D1's.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:06 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You don't install a maggie for twisties. It has an on/off switch pretty much when the bypass closes.

What do you think beats a motor more? The hard hit down low or the gradual hit?

You just need to show up this saturday and you'll see every combo first hand. Some of the customers have both types of setups on different cars they own.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Let me guess either they own mustangs or actually dont even owne a car with a twin screw.
Im pretty sure they were F-body owners but I doubt any of them had Maggies. They were just telling Alchemist Maggie>Procharger

I love the procharger on back roads, and will so even more when I drop back down to 3.42s and put some stickier tires on it.

The mid range torque is almost too much for the street right now because as I roll into the throttle enough to close the bypass valve, it's like hitting a shot of nitrous at part throttle. First and second gear are useless, but third gear is a lot of fun. It's plenty of power from 2500-5500 without worrying about pushing it too hard or winding out the motor.

I liked the Procharger because it's a proven platform and a lot of the complaints and shortcomings have been ironed out specifically belt slip, popping airboxes etc. It was also an easy install that I was able to do myself in my own garage at my leasure. To go with a twin screw just didn't appeal to me since it really hasn't been done that often on a 4th gen so the resources or assitance isn't really there. The nice thing about the procharger is if by chance one day I get bored of the D1, I can use almost everything I have and step up to an F1, and there's a large market for used D1's.
You make great points. Glad to hear from someone with experience with H/C and now H/C and boost.

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
You don't install a maggie for twisties. It has an on/off switch pretty much when the bypass closes.

What do you think beats a motor more? The hard hit down low or the gradual hit?

You just need to show up this saturday and you'll see every combo first hand. Some of the customers have both types of setups on different cars they own.
Again something I never thought about. The gradual boost has to be much easier on the motor. Unfortunately Im stuck working and couldnt get off..
Old 04-17-2012, 09:44 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Think about it this way. Say right now your car makes 350rwtq at 3500 rpm, with a procharger, you might see 1-3psi at that rpm which would add another 40-50 rwtq (just throwing a number out there), but with a twin screw, it's going to hit it with almost full boost pressure, which is another 100-200 ft/lbs of torque depending on how much boost you're running.

I love the way my setup was running on back roads. I rarely saw more than 60-70% throttle, and rarely went over 4500rpm on my to and from work, which is 90% of when I drive my car. With that, I would see between 3-5psi in those ranges at that throttle and it was more than responsive. The procharger was the best mod I ever did, hands down.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I guess technically none of the above. Not interested in track times or dyno numbers really. The car is a fun street toy that wont see the track. I guess if anything you can say I have numbers Id like to reach in mind but I wouldnt be heart broken any particular setup fell short. The think with twin screws that always attracted me was the instant low end torque, sounds really fun for a street setup that Ill never revv the **** out of..
well in that case, id go with a D1 procharger. Simple to setup and the least work to maintain.. Also, a maggie isnt a twin screw so youd be looking at a Kenne bell or Whipple if you want a twin screw. Personally, get a D1 setup with an aster bracket, go front mount or A2W right off the bat, proper fuel system and tune and enjoy. The centri blowers are much kinder to your tires and powertrain compared to the torque hit any roots/twin screw makes.
Another option might be a stroker engine....good power with less stuff than a FI setup. All a numbers and what you can live with type of deal.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

one of the best ways i find to make up my mind about stuff like this is to actually sit in and go for a ride in the different setups your interested in. Throw out a thread asking, most people will be glad to show you what they got.
While not a LSX based car, if you wanna find out how a roots blower feels, my lightning will show how the little HEaton blower gives it a bit more get up and go... enough to put a grin on my face and a couple bus lengths on a newer camaro SS who happened to think i was a regular F150 lol
Old 04-18-2012, 06:56 AM
Staging Lane

Talking

So are you thinking of selling you're D1 sometime soon? Not meaning to hijack thread, but what would be the cost of a D1 installed?

Last edited by RT.66; 04-18-2012 at 06:59 AM. Reason: adding question
Old 04-19-2012, 09:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by subarubill96
one of the best ways i find to make up my mind about stuff like this is to actually sit in and go for a ride in the different setups your interested in. Throw out a thread asking, most people will be glad to show you what they got.
While not a LSX based car, if you wanna find out how a roots blower feels, my lightning will show how the little HEaton blower gives it a bit more get up and go... enough to put a grin on my face and a couple bus lengths on a newer camaro SS who happened to think i was a regular F150 lol
This is good advice and a great idea. Ill keep this in mind. I know theres enough local guys with different setups.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:26 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by RT.66
So are you thinking of selling you're D1 sometime soon? Not meaning to hijack thread, but what would be the cost of a D1 installed?
Nope, not yet. Before I upgrade to a bigger blower, I want to put a better tire under the car and see how it drives on the street first before I add more power. I was only spinning the blower to ~50,000 rpm so I still have another 12-13,000 rpm to go before I consider upgrading.

Quick Reply: Do any sponsors have experience installing a Maggie on a 4th Gen?