Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Moving to NY... Emissions Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moving to NY... Emissions Advice?

Hey everybody. I currently live in Indiana (just finished undergrad at Purdue), but I'm moving to NY in August (upstate NY, not the city). I'm going to be a grad student, so I won't have to change my plates from IN to NY for a few years, but if I need to start changing things on the car and preparing I would like to do it sooner rather than later (don't want to have a car I can't drive all the sudden some day!).

I know the emissions testing is much more strict in NY than IN (it doesn't exist where I am now...), and I've read about what they are supposed to do... technically... but I would like to hear from you guys who actually live there to see what actually needs to be done.

All of my mods are in my sig below. I see a visual inspection is required too... and I took out basically all of the emissions stuff on my car (AIR, EGR, cats) in an irreversible way... unless I buy a lot of new stuff.

So let me know what it's like out there! I'm looking forward to getting out there, all except for this stuff with the car...

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2012, 06:01 AM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have everything tuned in the PCM and have no SES lights, you should be okay. It's always good to know someone that knows a guy. I'm in Syracuse if you ever need a hand.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:16 AM
On The Tree

I agree no see light and you should be good. Very few shops pop the hood to check for emissions
Old 07-06-2012, 06:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

where are you moving to , im In Amsterdam/ albany area . as long as you dont have codes showing your good , cats some places shy away from but as long as no codes you can be passed , just have to know people .
Old 07-14-2012, 01:26 PM
12 Second Club

Alright, that's good to hear, thanks. Everything is tuned nicely on my car so there are no codes or anything.

I'm going to be moving to Ithaca. Know anybody around there?
Old 07-14-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

im in Rockland County and i havnt had cats for 8 years know lol as long as theres no SES light you'll be ok
Old 07-14-2012, 10:33 PM
12 Second Club

Did you have to find the right person to go to, or do most places just check for codes?