Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

cant start truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant start truck

Hey, im extremely new to the forum and extremely new to working on cars. Me and my dad were working on his truck yesterday and we ran into what seems like a big problem. We were replacing the engine oil pan. My dad had already taken the engine off the motor mounts not knowing he didnt have to beacuse he got the wrong oil pan. We buttoned everthing up (front diff, axles, oil pan, starter) and put new oil in it. He went to start it and it would crank, and then pause, then crank and then pause, and eventually it just wouldnt crank at all. We tried to jump start and got a new battery, still wouldnt crank. My dad said he used diferrent bolts when he put the starter in. He said somthing about it not grounding the starter. So changed we out the bolts and it started to crank again. But now it would crank for a couple of seconds, and then it would make a really loud grinding sound, then crank, an make a loud grinding noise. Which to me obviously sounded like somthing happening between the starter and the flywheel. We decided to check the engine oil and it was sticky and smelled like gas. And when we were trying to start it, the engine was dumping unburned fuel right out of the tailpipe. So i dont really know whats goingon. My dad said the engines not getting any compression. I think the motors gone. The truck is a 1998 chevy k1500 z71 it has a 350 vortec which is actually from a gmc van. Sorry for the long post. Any help would be great. Thank you
Old 01-19-2014, 05:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 182 Likes on 141 Posts

did you check to see if you had any spark??
Old 01-20-2014, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it has spark
Old 01-21-2014, 11:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it the correct starter?

Quick Reply: cant start truck