Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Any way to fight a speeding ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any way to fight a speeding ticket?

Because of the ******* stupid new law that no state trooper can plea bargain any tickets they give out now in New York, I have to go straight to trial. Never done this before for a speeding ticket. I got 51 in a 35. Is there any way to fight a speeding ticket?
Old 06-05-2007, 09:40 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by freakynipples69
Because of the ******* stupid new law that no state trooper can plea bargain any tickets they give out now in New York, I have to go straight to trial. Never done this before for a speeding ticket. I got 51 in a 35. Is there any way to fight a speeding ticket?
get a state lawyer and he will make some sort of deal with the judge. it'll be just a fine likely, or just a fine and safety driving school, maybe even tossed out.

if you already have a record of speeding, your fucked.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO
get a state lawyer and he will make some sort of deal with the judge. it'll be just a fine likely, or just a fine and safety driving school, maybe even tossed out.

if you already have a record of speeding, your fucked.
I'm fucked. Whatever I could care less anymore.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats how i see it now, who cares, it comes out to be a few bucks more each month in insurance and it goes away after a few years. it's not the end of the world.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a lawyer work something out with the prosecutor. Worked for me.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Well at least plead not guilty. I hear all the local courts HATE the new law, because they're backed up beyond belief since EVERY case now has to go to trial, instead of quickly being settled to the benefit of both parties (ie the state gets its money, and you don't get points). The ******* assinine bureaucracy of this state never cease to amaze. The wait can help, because you won't accrue any more points until a date of conviction. So if you got a ticket 15 months ago, and the points will be wiped off in 18, you can keep yourself from getting boned hardcore.

FWIW, I contested a speeding ticket once, and waited 21 months before it got to court. And that was long before the law change.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I actually just came back and it's all the same **** as if you don't go trial at all. Only difference is that you plea bargain with the prosecutor instead of the cop. I didn't even have to wait for the judge. I got the speeding ticket lowered to a $150 parking violation fine and paid the clerk.

I guess I should be glad, just a waste to make it go to "trial" when it could of been taken cared off the first time I went to court. The justice system truly is a ridiculous system.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow, good fortune there!
Old 06-06-2007, 07:10 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even though this is after the fact, when you get pulled over, do not agree, or disagree, be calm, tell them you didnt know, your driving home. If he gives you the ticket, tell them you understand why and shake their hand and give them thanks for doing their job.

Last year I got bagged for speeding and the cop definitly grilled me about the car. But I stayed calm, he saw my helmet in the car and questioned, I said I take my hobby to the track, not to the street.

I got a "Promise to Appear" ticket.

Went up to the prosecutor and she said "The officer said you had a excellent attitude, I am not prosecuting you, have a great day."