11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Toyota Motors too strong?

NASCAR squeezes N'wide horses on Toyota motors
Amendment in series rule book effective immediately
By Jenna Fryer, The Associated Press
July 23, 2008
01:56 PM EDT
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- NASCAR tried to even out the competition in the Nationwide Series on Wednesday by ordering all teams using Toyota motors to squeeze down their horsepower before this weekend's race in Indianapolis.

Toyota has won 14 of 21 races this season in the Nationwide Series, and all but one of them came in a Camry fielded by Joe Gibbs Racing. The exception was JGR driver Kyle Busch's victory at Charlotte in May in a car fielded by Braun Racing.

NASCAR ordered all the Toyota motors to use a smaller restrictor that will knock down 15 horsepower in the motors.

NASCAR recently sent 10 different motors for testing, and found that David Reutimann's Toyota was the best with an estimated 3 percent horsepower advantage over the competition. JGR's No. 18 car -- which Busch drove to victory at Chicago right before the motors were tested -- was second.

Roush Fenway Racing's Nos. 16 and 17 Fords were next, followed by JGR's No. 20 car, which has won nine races with four different drivers this season.

JGR builds its own motors for its two Nationwide Series cars. The rest of the Toyota engines in that series and the Craftsman Truck Series come from Triad Racing Development, a Bill Davis-owned company that leases engines.

Toyota president Lee White did not immediately return a call for comment.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Just like Nascar to change rules mid-stream....AGAIN. First they give Toyota all the breaks to get them some wins...then they take away even more than they initially gave to them. No wonder there's tix available for all Nationwide Series races now, when all the races used to be sold out.....Nascar's losing alot of fans these days IMO due to their ****-like control tactics... WJ
Old 07-23-2008, 03:55 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Just the fact that they all are using an engine that is not available in any car/truck that they make alone tuens me off of it.

I think if nascar wants fasn back, they need to get back to the way it was in the 60's, maybe not the unsafe land yaht's that they were racing then, but back to the basics, none of this stupid "splitter" crap on the lose, no wings on teh back, make the car have to fit the damn facgtory jig, in EVERY way with the exception of ride height of course.

And make them us a production engine block, like what the car COMES with, and the driveline configuration that the car COMES with.

That will make them come out with a good motor'd rear wheel drive car real quick that will have to meet the mpg requirments that are coming down the pike, but have a good solid platform, at least engine wise that we can all benefit from.

But, since nascar and the WWE are pretty much one and the same now, that's not gonna happen.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Just the fact that they all are using an engine that is not available in any car/truck that they make alone tuens me off of it.

I think if nascar wants fasn back, they need to get back to the way it was in the 60's, maybe not the unsafe land yaht's that they were racing then, but back to the basics, none of this stupid "splitter" crap on the lose, no wings on teh back, make the car have to fit the damn facgtory jig, in EVERY way with the exception of ride height of course.

And make them us a production engine block, like what the car COMES with, and the driveline configuration that the car COMES with.

That will make them come out with a good motor'd rear wheel drive car real quick that will have to meet the mpg requirments that are coming down the pike, but have a good solid platform, at least engine wise that we can all benefit from.
So what you're saying is, stock car racing should use STOCK cars.

That's crazy talk.

I completely agree. Imagine the awesome cars people would be able to buy if the cars you saw on tv had to come from the showroom. That is in fact how it used to be.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:25 PM
10 Second Club

Question

Wait, there are brands other than Toyota competing in the Nationwide and Craftsman truck series?

Hmm, I though it was a Toyota Spec Racing Series just like the NASCAR Sprint series is also becoming.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

Finally, kinda messed up that the Toyota busch teams get to run there cup motor but the rest can't. Like the Chevy teams aren't allowed to run the new R07 motor an dhave to use the old one.

I agree with JL WS6 about the stock car thing.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just have NASCAR control the motors, they can issue the engines and seal them. The teams would just pay NASCAR to provide the motors, it would be cheaper for everyone.
They could just let NASCAR issue everything, and let the teams add the decals to make them look like a Chevy, Ford or whatever they want. The cars all look alike anyway. NASCAR is losing alot of fans for various reasons, and they are not helping matters with stupid sh#t like this.