Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

97 SS Brake Questions: Front Rotors and rear Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 SS Brake Questions: Front Rotors and rear Calipers

Posted this in the LT1 section, but thought i would see if some of you fellow Florida Members could help.

My front rotors need to be replaced, and the rear calipers as well. I checked the site and did a search but didn't find anything that answered my questions.

Are 97 SS rotors bigger than others? I ask this because parts stores usually don't have the "SS" or 17" Wheel option in their computers. So i just want to make sure and not buy the wrong rotors. This is my first 4th Gen, so I'm not sure if the LT1 SS was equipped with bigger rotors than Z28's or not.

I had the front calipers rebuilt, but was told that the rear calipers would need to be replaced because they couldn't rebuild them. This may be bs...but were would i find replacements? Checked the SLP site and there was nothing.

Or is there a Sponsor Shop around Tampa that actually can rebuild the rear calipers for me?
Old 09-09-2010, 04:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same size as the Z-28 but u can upgrade the rotors to cross drilled/slotted w/ better brake pads like the Hawk pads.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:52 AM
On The Tree

I'm running the Baer Track kit, 13" rotors and what ever pads they sent with the rotors. I have a pair of Baer 12.1 cross drilled and slotted Eradispeed two piece rotors w/ mounting brackets for $200.00. I don't know if you would be interested in them or not. As for the stock calipers on the front and rear there PBR calipers.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the answers guys. I searched PBR Calipers and came across a few things.

Are these the correct OE rotor sizes?

Front 10.7 x 1.26

Rear 11.4 x 0.8

Found these sizes on another website...doesn't seem right though.

I will research this on the site, but i'll ask the question now...

If i go with bigger rotors, how much bigger can i go in both front and rear without having to upgrade the master cylinder and such?

This is my daily driver and i don't HAVE to have state of the art brakes at the moment (even though i wished i could afford to do so..lol). So that's why i figured i would stick with OE sizes...

Like i said, i will research this on the site a little more
Old 09-11-2010, 09:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'd be better off getting the c5 relacation brackets, getting C5 rotors and that will net better stopping power than anything OE. Those LS1 calipers are cheap now. Trust me, night and day difference. I spent a little more since I used Z06 calipers. Those Lt1 setups suck or just go LS1 and be done with it.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Lol...well after researching LT1 to LS1 brakes, and LT1 to C5 brakes...i must say that i am overloaded with info and a bit confused.

I will have to read more tomorrow, time for work now..lol

Quick Reply: 97 SS Brake Questions: Front Rotors and rear Calipers