Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

general CFL question (relocating-maybe)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default general CFL question (relocating-maybe)

hello:
well my fiancee wants to move to orlando area. at first i thoguht if i found a decent job that pays similar then yeah. so i started looking for jobs online. sent a few resumes out this pas weekend. today i go on some city data forum and see horror stories about cetnral FL and orlando. high crime, gangs, bad schools, ghettos,etc. and that it really isnt that cheap to live there after all.
what is your experience for those of you who live aruond there?
clermont is one area she mentioned. schools there are supposed to be ok >?thanks!
Old 10-09-2007, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I currently live in Orlando (near UCF) and as of mid December I will be living elsewhere. The crime rate isn't astonishing in comparison to some cities. However, it is definitely there. In the past year two cops have been killed and several stores just a few miles from my home have been robbed. A friend of mine works at Uhaul and some guy tried to break in while holding a shotgun. The guy apparently wasn't very determined and left. One of the managers at another Uhaul location was shot in the torso last year during a robbery. A kid was stabbed at his highschool last year by another student because they both liked the same girl or some stupid reason. My roommate's parents' house was robbed about 6 months ago. I've been here for about a year and a half and I've seen enough to know that I want to move back to a small town. A few friends and I were drinking at my house one night when we hear a helicopter. We go outside to find out its a police helicopter searching for someone. I've heard of a lot of crime in the UCF affiliated housing complexes as well. Armed robbery has bee a pretty popular method so far.

For those of you that may be thinking to yourselves that I live in a bad area, I don't. I live off of Avalon Park blvd which is off of 50 and three ish miles east of Alafaya in a new housing development.

You can look on the brighter side. A fair amount of crime does happen, but it doesn't happen to everyone. People do raise families here, so it can't be horrible.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:58 PM
Teching In

thanks 01blue4.8 -- i also read about gangs and gang violence. seemed scary to me. i mean my fiancee would move down there alone for a while ahead of me while i find a job down there and continue to work up here...
Old 10-09-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pogo
thanks 01blue4.8 -- i also read about gangs and gang violence. seemed scary to me. i mean my fiancee would move down there alone for a while ahead of me while i find a job down there and continue to work up here...
I don't have any knowledge of gangs in the area. I don't really read much into crime in the area. All the stuff I know about is from just doing what I do on a daily basis.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:03 PM
11 Second Club

Big cities tend to have more diversity, and ergo...more crime.

Orlando is an average place to live...bad traffic due to poorly planned transportation grids. The gangs are located mostly in the Pine Hills and Orlovista neighborhoods. East Orlando is crowded to the gills, and West Orlando is filling up rapidly. If you choose wisely, you can commute unfettered and live your life in peace. I live on the west side of town and have no complaints. Pick a nice neighborhood in a good school district and you're golden. There's plenty to do here, and a dragstrip 30 mins from the center of town.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha gangs. The crime here isnt random, its targeted around drug crowds and criminals, just like anywhere else in the nation. CFL is a very nice place to live, a lot of different **** to do.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:55 PM
Teching In

what is the cost of living like? she told me it was cheaper/etc but then i started researchign and found that it may not be. houses arent that cheap and if rent for a yr - rent is almost 1500/month for a nice neighborhood. and then job market.. i'm in IT and dont make a ton but i'd like to stay around where i'm at or maybe sligthly less if cost is cheaper down there (im currently at 65k/yr). thanks bros
Old 10-09-2007, 05:33 PM
FormerVendor

I doubt you will get that much. Where are you coming from?
Old 10-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by VSGLS1
I doubt you will get that much. Where are you coming from?
we're coming from southern NJ - she has it in her head she wants to work at disney. she's very sweet but no college education/etc - her pay wont be great for sure. she really wants to go though. hates NJ now.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:41 PM
FormerVendor

I would suggest visiting for a few days if you are serious.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pogo
what is the cost of living like? she told me it was cheaper/etc but then i started researchign and found that it may not be. houses arent that cheap and if rent for a yr - rent is almost 1500/month for a nice neighborhood. and then job market.. i'm in IT and dont make a ton but i'd like to stay around where i'm at or maybe sligthly less if cost is cheaper down there (im currently at 65k/yr). thanks bros
I live in a 3/2 house with my gf and a friend of mine. After rent and all utilities the monthly cost is about 1,700. My brother and his gf live in a 1/1 apartment and pay about 1,100 a month (however, he keeps his house as cold as an icebox).
Old 10-10-2007, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Pine Hills AKA Crime Hills = Disney version of compton

Silver star area of pine hills known as "choppa city" is no joke, neither is paramore.

OBT has some sights to be seen lemme tell you.. lol

and bithlo well thats all i have to say about that
Old 10-10-2007, 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

You can always find a good deal on a singlewide in Bithlo
Old 10-10-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pharcyde50
You can always find a good deal on a singlewide in Bithlo
Some of those rednecks are pretty dumb. For instance, I have a remote start on my truck. I started it one night as some redneck lady was walking by (unintentionally). Her reaction was "oh my god, that truck right there just started itself" as she jumped back a bit.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its not the gangs you have to worry about its the employers you have to watch out for. They can get rid of you for taking a **** to taking some famliy leave. Do your search on emplyoment laws here. And im about to get outta here myself. Going to tampa.

Quick Reply: general CFL question (relocating-maybe)