Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

X or H-pipe after turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X or H-pipe after turbo?

Does it make a difference on a turbo set-up if you're exhaust has an H-pipe or X-pipe to begin with?
Old 02-03-2009, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

On an N/A setup all an H-pipe does is equal out sound for cammed cars, makes it a little smoother...no performance difference at all.
X-pipe uses a scavenging effect to increase velocity aiding the gasses out of the opposite side...difference in perfromance.
On a turbo car your exhaust gasses are not in pulse after the turbo so all an X would do is create a restriction bottle necking 2 pipes to 1.
An H wouldnt effect anything.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
On an N/A setup all an H-pipe does is equal out sound for cammed cars, makes it a little smoother...no performance difference at all.
X-pipe uses a scavenging effect to increase velocity aiding the gasses out of the opposite side...difference in perfromance.
On a turbo car your exhaust gasses are not in pulse after the turbo so all an X would do is create a restriction bottle necking 2 pipes to 1.
An H wouldnt effect anything.
yup, makes sense, I ended up rushing to the exhaust shop telling them to install straight pipes with no x-pipe drama
Old 02-03-2009, 06:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

An H pipe after the turbos on a twin turbo car definately makes for a quieter exhaust, much smoother note.

I'd also suggest that an X-pipe should offer less restriction then plain separete pipes. As each cylinder...although muffled by the turbo, should then see an open X leading to 2 pipes on each fire, as opposed to only having a single exit path.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't see a down side to an H-pipe or X-pipe if there is room for one.
The exhaust tone at idle and cruise RPM will be quieter for sure.
I already had an X-pipe prior to the change to turbos, and I see no reason to remove it.
At the same time, I would not rush out to install one on a turbo car before checking to see if the exhaust tone is acceptable for you.
I'm not sure what HP difference there would be, but I would expect the x-pipe to free up a little power at certain RPM's.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:42 AM
Teching In

I would think that an X pipe would offer a small performance boost and quieter and less restricted exhaust to a smaller extent than on a N/A car but still might be worth adding it on
Old 02-04-2009, 09:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

How does an X-pipe scavenge gas when its forced? Naturally aspirated is a totally different world. Turbocharged it creates a restriction....pretty simple physics....unless the X is bigger or equal flowing than the 2 pipes going into it, it IS a restriction.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't believe there's a scavenge benefit with an X-pipe when FI.
If you are giving the exhaust multiple exit paths (assuming the mufflers are not restrictive) I would not see the x-pipe being a measurable restriction.
You still have two head pipes, two mufflers, and two tail pipes to split up the flow right?
I wonder if anyone has done a before and after test on this?

Quick Reply: X or H-pipe after turbo?