Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

wastegate exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:10 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default wastegate exhaust questions

I'm thinking of running a separate exhaust for my wastegate. i found a 1.5" bike muffler that is about 12" long. is that too small of a pipe? my waste gate it 38mm which is smaller than 1.5"s. i just want to make sure its not going to cause boost creep.

i have decided to do this do to the fact that i gained a lot of power suddenly one day. i had to add a lot of fuel at WOT. i found i had lost a bolt on my waste gate and it has a leak between it and the down pipe. i would like to keep this new found power but not the noise. so i found these mufflers. they are $36 for two of them. i figured i can hook them together and it would sound better.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Banned

for my 60mm gate i plan to run a seperate muffler and exhaust pipe for it. this will keep the theme of having duals exiting
Old 02-18-2009, 08:35 PM
12 Second Truck Club

your gate is huge compared to mine. how hot would the wastegate exhaust pipe get? i could run a 2" or so pipe to the back but it will be close to my trans. i guess it would only get warm being that the gate is not open all the time.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i am wanting to do the same on mine. i noticed an increase in seat of pants power when i rerouted my wastegate pipe out of the downpipe and just dumped under car but hate the sound when it opens up.i have no idea what muffler i am going to run on it tho
Old 02-19-2009, 04:04 PM
12 Second Truck Club

i found cherry bomb makes a 2" muffler that has a 3.5" body. they are like $32 on ebay. i think i'm going that route. its small and i can route it by my 4" exhaust.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just curious but what does it sound like when it opens? I dont have mine done yet.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:54 PM
Banned

it sounds like an exhaust leak. mine being 2.5 in size sounds like a 4 banger with open headers since mine dumps one bank of motor.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:21 PM
12 Second Truck Club

yeah right now mine just has a leak so its like a jet noise. but inside it sounds like a charge pipe leak on mine.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

mine just sounds really raspy when the wastegate opens, i am thinking of putting a long glass pack on it and see how that sounds..right now i am running the down pipe dumped under car..sounds good until oh raspy kicks in lol...but does run better this way
Old 02-20-2009, 07:39 AM
10 Second Club

For a real increase in power don't dump the WG separately. Put a big enough spring in it so it never opens in the first place, lol

Are you guys running restrictive exhaust systems? The only reason I can think of you would pick up power by dumping the WG is not enough flow in the exhaust. Or is there something I'm missing here?
Old 02-20-2009, 08:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
For a real increase in power don't dump the WG separately. Put a big enough spring in it so it never opens in the first place, lol

Are you guys running restrictive exhaust systems? The only reason I can think of you would pick up power by dumping the WG is not enough flow in the exhaust. Or is there something I'm missing here?
the turbulance you encounter from having two pressure sources merging at one point that arent of the same pressure can create a decrease in power. You also have 2 different heats merging together. Its best to dump the wastegate and allow downpipe to freely exit the exhaust. this way no restriction or any unwanted pressure slowing down your exhaust. slow down exhaust and back up the turbo, with it as free flowing as possible you gain as much power as you possibly can make for that given HP level. remember in boost no restiction is best. if you can get away with a small 5" lenght pipe off the exhaust housing that would be ideal.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:06 AM
10 Second Club

Didn't think about the merge being that much of a problem, but that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. I figured I had to be missing something.