Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

supercharger or turbo!!! help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default supercharger or turbo!!! help!

I have a 02 ss with ls6 ported heads and a 230/230 cam....There is a guy on here selling a turbo kit he says he made almost 800hp on it, he wants 3400....I also have a guy that want 4000 for the d1 procharger I have heard good things about both....what do you guys suggest? whats more reliable? he says there is no lag. I don't know much about forced air induction but I never thought about going turbo because I heard they took a little while to spool. On the flip side I have also heard superchargers cant hold psi as much as turbos.....I don't know what to do, I don't want to be the guinea pig on this one........
Old 02-21-2009, 11:43 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

supercharger or turbo!!! SEARCH!

seriously, this topic has been beat to death in here. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. You need to do a ton of searching and decide whats best for you.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:56 AM
11Second Club

The Procharger will be more reliable. Turbos lag, but on a V8 the lag isn't anywhere near as bad as on an import. V8s flow enough air to spool them very, very quickly. I'm not sure what you mean by "superchargers can't hold psi as turbos. It's true that turbos typically will produce more boost and more power, and the low-end torque is devastating.

It's all a matter of what you want. If you want a reliable street car, the Procharger might be the way to go. However, if you want an insane race car that you can put on jackstands for weeks at a time when necessary, then the turbos will gain you more power. That isn't to say that turbos aren't any good on the street, though. They just typically produce too much torque to control on the street, and they're more prone to failure. Some of the kits, though, like APS, are very, very well-made and would still work for a street car.

Tell us what your goals are, and we'll be more able to help you.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gauge
The Procharger will be more reliable. Turbos lag, but on a V8 the lag isn't anywhere near as bad as on an import. V8s flow enough air to spool them very, very quickly. I'm not sure what you mean by "superchargers can't hold psi as turbos. It's true that turbos typically will produce more boost and more power, and the low-end torque is devastating.

It's all a matter of what you want. If you want a reliable street car, the Procharger might be the way to go. However, if you want an insane race car that you can put on jackstands for weeks at a time when necessary, then the turbos will gain you more power. That isn't to say that turbos aren't any good on the street, though. They just typically produce too much torque to control on the street, and they're more prone to failure. Some of the kits, though, like APS, are very, very well-made and would still work for a street car.

Tell us what your goals are, and we'll be more able to help you.

i would have to disagree on this one... reliablity is based on the parts you put in it, and how far you push it. just because you do a turbo set up doesnt meen that you have to push it to the limit. people on here drive around the streets with 90mm+ turbos and are fine.

back to the post, its hard to determine what would be best for you from our perspective. is this your dd? what are you hp goals? will this be a 1/4 mile car or 1/8? whats your budget? also the guy selling the turbo said that he didnt have any lag... what size motor does he have and what size is the turbo? you cannot go wrong with a d1sc as time and time again they have been proven by EPP with outstanding results. contact EPP and ask them about the d1 and they will be able to help you more than anyone with the knowledge they have. hope this helped some
Old 02-21-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Bottom line is: Both get the job done. Make sure you have plenty of cash for all the b.s that comes after the install...
Old 02-21-2009, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

I want a weekend warrior. I definately can't afford to have my car on jackstands all the time, I want a car can still run on a/c also it looks like supercharging is going to be my best bet.... I have to much money tied into the paint job and system to have it as a car that can just sit on a trailer, and to the track and back oso you guys are saying a procharger put out some crazy hp also?
Old 02-21-2009, 03:02 PM

A p1sc or d1sc at around 9 psi will net you 500 rwhp all day long.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Default supercharger or turbo

Thanks guys, ill call some people around and take it from there
Old 02-21-2009, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

why not do both
Old 02-21-2009, 05:56 PM
12 Second Club

Turbo
Old 02-21-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

one of many first questions.... what is your budget?
Old 02-21-2009, 06:43 PM
10 Second Club

I am swapping from a D1SC to a APS kit. Nothing wrong with a procharger at all. I loved the sound with the cam, but that is one of the main reasons I swapped. I wanted something quiet and the extra gas milage won't hurt anything.

Things I liked about the procharger:

Easy to install
Sound
Instant fun power

Things I didn't like about the Procharger:

Sound.....I'm ready for a sleeper
The car ran hotter due to the fans and pull of the blower
Belts........I hate belts and changing the oil

That's just the main points for the procharger

Procharger is a simple bolt on kit. Any turbo kit is going to be a lot harder to install
Old 02-21-2009, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

i would say 4 to 5 grand to spend....thats why I was looking for a used kit on here because I know they run about 6 grand brand new....I'm just waiting on my income tax, I just figured I could start checking out what to go with....Im leaning towards a supercharger just from what I hear the guys say, easy installation and I want it to scream! I want to try to get as close as I can to 600 hp, but I don't know how much my stock block can hold.........I really appreciate all you guys input, This got to be one of the coolest sites!!!
Old 02-21-2009, 07:21 PM

600 hp and 5 grand does not add up. TRUST ME.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:22 PM

Read here if u haven't already: https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...induction.html
Old 02-21-2009, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

it really helped! thanks everyone you guys more than likely just saved me some time and money!!
Old 02-22-2009, 01:43 PM
11Second Club

Yeah, on paper, $4-5k looks doable with a used kit. My setup was very budget-minded, and it still cost me around $7,500 in the end (not counting the $800 uh-oh that I had). It'll just nickel and dime you to death (except that the nickels are $50 and the dimes are $200).
Old 02-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Teching In

Turbo is more beneficial because it doesn't need Hp to make Hp and $/Hp ratio turbos are more efficient and effective.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Snipez
Turbo is more beneficial because it doesn't need Hp to make Hp and $/Hp ratio turbos are more efficient and effective.
lol read a little first...

but yeah 5k isnt going to get you anywhere. 600hp is pushing it on the stock block reliability speeking. there are going to be things that youll need that you wont think of now until they break or dont work on yours. you have to think about the trans, rear end, what kinda tires are you running, pullies, belts and a ton of other ****. i would bolt on the kit and run 5-7lbs and wait until you have the money to do the rest
Old 02-23-2009, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

I was a supercharger man myself, but after doing a lot of research and watching countlrss videos, I've changed over to turbos. Mostly because turbos are compact, easily hidden and are very impressive under the hood. I would suggest doing a lot of reading like the book titled maximum boost or turbo by hp books and also read some supercharging books and then decide for yourself. You can ask 50 people and you will get 50 different answers so its all up to you. Good luck

Quick Reply: supercharger or turbo!!! help!