Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS TT Vette -- MASSIVE oil leak.....Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default APS TT Vette -- MASSIVE oil leak.....Questions

Ok everyone, am finishing up my Vette and was having a break-in done when it looked like the scavenge pump crapped. Had the car towed home, got a turbowerx pump, went to install it today. APS pump was still good. Put the turbowerx pump on the car as a precaution, fired it up.

There is an enormous and massive oil leak coming from topside/above the passenger turbo. It's not seeping, it's actually flowing out. I don't think it's the turbo seal because there's absolutely zero oil coming out of the bottom of the turbo to downpipe flange, it's all spraying out of the top. The heat shielding on the tunnel is soaked and dripping, the starter and O2 is getting soaked, and it's just flowing down the down pipe and dripping off in front of the wastegate. There's a HUGE puddle left after only a 3 second run time.

Now, the scavenge pump is working, but NOT putting a steady flow out. Which I don't think is right, but I'm not sure. The lines to the turbo check out, no leaking or wetness. There's no signs of the leak from the top side of the motor, both the distribution block and attachments and the original pressure sender locations are all dry.

Motor is a brand new TSP LS3 shortblock with Patriot 317's up top.

HELP!!!!! I'm looking for any ideas for something that might lead me in the right place to look. I wouldn't think it's a turbo seal because of how much and fast the oil is flowing out and the manner in which it is.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:33 AM
FormerVendor

It wont put out a steady flow, merely a spitting and spuddering. Remember, you are recovering oil from 2 .125 holes.

Sounds like an oil feed issue with either a crush washer or feed line.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

The leak was actually the main feed line from the original OPS location to the distribution block. The line was pulled tight with the LS3 conversion and subsequent OPS location being moved, and the fitting backed off. An Earls 90* adapter gave more than enough slack on it, and ZERO leaks now with the line tightened and the Turbowerx pump running down front. Smoked out my garage pretty bad when I let it cook everything off/out of the pipes. I'd have updated this thread but I honestly forgot I had posted it here.

Good call Louis!!!!
Old 04-25-2009, 12:59 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had very similar problem on my APS kit. I had the wrong copper washer on one side of the passenger turbo oil feed banjo fitting. It was a little to big and pissed out oil everywhere. Not saying it's the cause, but worth a look. By the way, my turbo took a **** after less than 500 miles.

Quick Reply: APS TT Vette -- MASSIVE oil leak.....Questions