Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbo project, looking for tips!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 04:20 PM
h22
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default turbo project, looking for tips!

Hi all, great forum.
I am starting to collect parts for a twin turbo LS project. I was wanting to get some advice from those who have been there and done that and hopefully save me some heartaches down the road.

What i have so far:
L76 engine (i am fairly sure, aluminum 6.0l, l98 heads)
4L80e trans

I have tried to do as much research as i could stand..... way to much stuff to sort through and way to easy to get side tracked with all the kick *** cars

So, a couple easy questions to start off with:
1, I've read it both ways, this motor has a steel crank, and this motor has a cast crank so anyone know for sure? ( i will find out in a few days anyway as i will be tearing it down) but......
1b, I've also read that a stock forged bottom end will handle a ton of HP ( like 1000) is this true? ( if not then i will have to buy a stroker kit......oh the agony)

2, As I don't have an intake manifold, and as far as i know the pickings are slim for the L92 heads, truck molded, car molded, or carb aluminum, witch is recomended? I know Parish used a stock plastic manifold on his for awhile (i think) how much boost can a stock manifold take? ( would be cool to see a sticky or thread on this, how much boost on a stock manifold...if there isn't one already)

3, looking into trans mods it looks like a hardened input shaft is recommend, so is it mandatory? and if so is the cheaper "hardened" shaft acceptable, or is it best to step up to the $500.00 one thats mane of unobtainium?
Already planning on a full rebuild with clutches and other recommended. hard parts

I know many of these questions are dependent on how much HP i want to make, but that is still a bit up in the air, kinda depends on how exponentially the cost vs. HP rises, vs. weather or not my job picks up etc. But I will shoot for a minimum of 800 HP or there about, but if i can pad my hot-rod fund a little more this summer i would like to shoot for 4 digit figures.
Thanks Joe
Old 06-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by h22
Hi all, great forum.
I am starting to collect parts for a twin turbo LS project. I was wanting to get some advice from those who have been there and done that and hopefully save me some heartaches down the road.

What i have so far:
L76 engine (i am fairly sure, aluminum 6.0l, l98 heads)
4L80e trans

I have tried to do as much research as i could stand..... way to much stuff to sort through and way to easy to get side tracked with all the kick *** cars

So, a couple easy questions to start off with:
1, I've read it both ways, this motor has a steel crank, and this motor has a cast crank so anyone know for sure? ( i will find out in a few days anyway as i will be tearing it down) but......
If it's stock, it's cast
1b, I've also read that a stock forged bottom end will handle a ton of HP ( like 1000) is this true? ( if not then i will have to buy a stroker kit......oh the agony)
No such thing as stock forged. It's either stock cast or forged. More stroke just makes more cubes. Has nothing to do with the power level that it will take. A bottom end with a stock crank and forged rods and pistons is good to 1000+ HP.

2, As I don't have an intake manifold, and as far as i know the pickings are slim for the L92 heads, truck molded, car molded, or carb aluminum, witch is recomended? I know Parish used a stock plastic manifold on his for awhile (i think) how much boost can a stock manifold take? ( would be cool to see a sticky or thread on this, how much boost on a stock manifold...if there isn't one already) Not sure about this one but I personally would go carb style and elbow on the raised port stuff.
3, looking into trans mods it looks like a hardened input shaft is recommend, so is it mandatory? and if so is the cheaper "hardened" shaft acceptable, or is it best to step up to the $500.00 one thats mane of unobtainium?
Already planning on a full rebuild with clutches and other recommended. hard parts Not really good with tranny stuff

I know many of these questions are dependent on how much HP i want to make, but that is still a bit up in the air, kinda depends on how exponentially the cost vs. HP rises, vs. weather or not my job picks up etc. But I will shoot for a minimum of 800 HP or there about, but if i can pad my hot-rod fund a little more this summer i would like to shoot for 4 digit figures.
Thanks Joe
^^^see in red^^^
Old 06-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh, and you'll likely need different heads for a build with over 1000 fwhp.

Quick Reply: turbo project, looking for tips!