Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Oil temp out of control

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil temp out of control

Twin Turbo Warhawk + Turbotechnology kit.

well let me make the long story short, im having problems keeping oil temps under control, and not to say that I did not try working it out, except that im out of ideas!!

Well oil temps seems to be skyrocketing, which cause me another problem given the oil temp tends to PULL the water temps up with it no matter how good my radiator/fan/water cooling system is.

Scenario: Cold start, water temp rises to the 180degree range and stay there for the next 20minutes, until the oil temps start to come up to and past that point, when oil temps reach about 220 and coolant temps also rise a few degrees above that of oil which is crazy high if you ask me.

I had the stock oil cooler and the car did the same, so I didnt worry, switched to a big *** (no dimensions currently) HKS engine oil cooler, same problem, so I figured it was the fact that the cooler was getting no ambient airflow. Finally switched to using two oil coolers instead of the fog-lamps for best air-flow, well guess what, yes it takes the oil a little longer to heat, but nothing stops it from reaching where it does >.< Even high-way cruising showed that oil temps were increasing "slowly" - nothing seems to be able to lower the temps not even babying the car.

Turbos are oil lubricated AND cooled, however while the oil is passing through the turbos and being heated up, its worth mentioning that those turbo feed oil restrictors are 0.9mm, im wondering how much they could flow and how fast they could heat up the oil temp.

Oil used: regular (temp) non-synth 20w-50
Dual oil coolers in following arrangement: engine >> cooler1 >> cooler2 >> back
Oil coolers have dash 10 fittings each.

All suggestions are welcome.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:09 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What's the ambient temp's? Fans on oil coolers? Any exhaust smoke once oil temps rise? What are your oil temps?

Originally Posted by ayousef
Twin Turbo Warhawk + Turbotechnology kit.

well let me make the long story short, im having problems keeping oil temps under control, and not to say that I did not try working it out, except that im out of ideas!!

Well oil temps seems to be skyrocketing, which cause me another problem given the oil temp tends to PULL the water temps up with it no matter how good my radiator/fan/water cooling system is.

Scenario: Cold start, water temp rises to the 180degree range and stay there for the next 20minutes, until the oil temps start to come up to and past that point, when oil temps reach about 220 and coolant temps also rise a few degrees above that of oil which is crazy high if you ask me.

I had the stock oil cooler and the car did the same, so I didnt worry, switched to a big *** (no dimensions currently) HKS engine oil cooler, same problem, so I figured it was the fact that the cooler was getting no ambient airflow. Finally switched to using two oil coolers instead of the fog-lamps for best air-flow, well guess what, yes it takes the oil a little longer to heat, but nothing stops it from reaching where it does >.< Even high-way cruising showed that oil temps were increasing "slowly" - nothing seems to be able to lower the temps not even babying the car.

Turbos are oil lubricated AND cooled, however while the oil is passing through the turbos and being heated up, its worth mentioning that those turbo feed oil restrictors are 0.9mm, im wondering how much they could flow and how fast they could heat up the oil temp.

Oil used: regular (temp) non-synth 20w-50
Dual oil coolers in following arrangement: engine >> cooler1 >> cooler2 >> back
Oil coolers have dash 10 fittings each.

All suggestions are welcome.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

vince,

thanks for the reply, I dont know how i forgot to mention this.

The ambient temps when i did this was exactly 95, not to mention the temps get up to and BEYOND 113 in the morning, not to mention humidity was kinda bad, but I was always under the impression that humidity works in favor of heat exchangers.

No fans on the coolers, and it does seem like the oil coolers vanes (whatever they are called) are spaced too close to each other, im assuming the air might be travelling "around" the cooler, but thats just a quick guess.

and as far as i know, there is no smoke once temps go up.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:09 PM
Shorty Director

Currently on my setup I dont have any oil coolers and the rest of the cooling is stock. This year was the first year I really drove my car in the heat for hours at a time. I use to race my car and it was always at night. My coolant temps do not go over 220F with the AC on and on average it's between 200 and 214F during the hottest part of the day(90F plus). With AC off the coolant temps are between 195F and 204F during the hottest part of the day(90F plus).

Now my oil temps are a different story. Just cruising around during the hottest part of the day(90F plus) they hover between 235F and 248F. I actually get intermittent exhaust smoke once the oil temps get over 225F. When time permits I plan to add a pretty good size oil cooler and going with SPAL fans on the radiator. As for your fix I have no clue. I have been to Dubai and as you know the ambient temps get up there and just standing on the street you feel like you are in an oven. Where I am in Florida we have horrible humidity along with high temps. Good luck on solving your issue. I wish I had a resolution for you.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by VINCE
Currently on my setup I dont have any oil coolers and the rest of the cooling is stock. This year was the first year I really drove my car in the heat for hours at a time. I use to race my car and it was always at night. My coolant temps do not go over 220F with the AC on and on average it's between 200 and 214F during the hottest part of the day(90F plus). With AC off the coolant temps are between 195F and 204F during the hottest part of the day(90F plus).

Now my oil temps are a different story. Just cruising around during the hottest part of the day(90F plus) they hover between 235F and 248F. I actually get intermittent exhaust smoke once the oil temps get over 225F. When time permits I plan to add a pretty good size oil cooler and going with SPAL fans on the radiator. As for your fix I have no clue. I have been to Dubai and as you know the ambient temps get up there and just standing on the street you feel like you are in an oven. Where I am in Florida we have horrible humidity along with high temps. Good luck on solving your issue. I wish I had a resolution for you.

wow, your oil temps are skyrocketing man, but again this is with no oil cooler, so thats impressive. I wonder how dangerous it is to be running with that high of an oil temp, now even if i switch to a really high viscosity oil, something like Castrol 10w-60, problem is when oil temps go up they cant help but pull the water temps up as well, I got a dewitts rad + dual spal fans on the radiator and a 160degree thermostat. Water temps go up, timing goes down, I Guess ill have to tune the car on the dyno with high water temps and go from there, because the current calibration pulls from 2 to 6 degrees of timing and as a result drivability gets f'ed (2.5bar SD tune)

I dont know if having fans on the oil coolers would help though.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

So your oil temp is reaching a max of 220 degrees F? Your water temp is what? Under what conditions are you seeing max temps?

FYI, if your max oil temp is 220 you have nothing to worry about.You want it to reach a nominal temp of 210 - 215 to eliminate condensation in the system. I routinely see 280 degree oil temps during open track events and have confirmed through used oil analysis this is not an issue. This is using Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 or RLI BioSyn 10w-30 SHP HD.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
So your oil temp is reaching a max of 220 degrees F? Your water temp is what? Under what conditions are you seeing max temps?

FYI, if your max oil temp is 220 you have nothing to worry about.You want it to reach a nominal temp of 210 - 215 to eliminate condensation in the system. I routinely see 280 degree oil temps during open track events and have confirmed through used oil analysis this is not an issue. This is using Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 or RLI BioSyn 10w-30 SHP HD.
well, under cruising and very little full throttle, now the difference between me and you is you're in an open track, and as soon as you hit the high-way and cruise you're temps will drop way below, my temps dont seem to drop even on a high-way cruise, they have the tendency to increase.

water temps stay fine as long as oil temps are down, when oil temps increase so does the coolant, coolant seems to be maintained at a few degrees above oil temp at all times.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

well, under cruising and very little full throttle, now the difference between me and you is you're in an open track, and as soon as you hit the high-way and cruise you're temps will drop way below, my temps dont seem to drop even on a high-way cruise, they have the tendency to increase.

water temps stay fine as long as oil temps are down, when oil temps increase so does the coolant, coolant seems to be maintained at a few degrees above oil temp at all times.
I understand, I was just trying to illustrate that 220F oil temps are not high. Daily driving here in Texas with 100 degree ambient temps I see oil temps in the 216 - 224F range. If I start pushing it, oil temp will rise very quickly with it slow to drop. It's been that way since I purchased the car new. It's normal for water and oil temps to follow each other.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:18 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
I understand, I was just trying to illustrate that 220F oil temps are not high. Daily driving here in Texas with 100 degree ambient temps I see oil temps in the 216 - 224F range. If I start pushing it, oil temp will rise very quickly with it slow to drop. It's been that way since I purchased the car new. It's normal for water and oil temps to follow each other.
Well, ill try to throw in a fan behind one of those oil coolers and do a little mod on the coolers themselves to force air THROUGH them as opposed to around them.

Thing is, the car is tuned on the dyno under 100 degrees Celcius (water temp) where it pulls no timing, since im driving above that, the car seems to be pulling lots of timing throughout the rpm range not just at WOT, and messes with the AFR not to mention the jerkiness.

Seems ill have to tune the car at and above 100degrees celcius (water temp)
Old 07-25-2009, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, ill try to throw in a fan behind one of those oil coolers and do a little mod on the coolers themselves to force air THROUGH them as opposed to around them.

Thing is, the car is tuned on the dyno under 100 degrees Celcius (water temp) where it pulls no timing, since im driving above that, the car seems to be pulling lots of timing throughout the rpm range not just at WOT, and messes with the AFR not to mention the jerkiness.

Seems ill have to tune the car at and above 100degrees celcius (water temp)
From what I understand is you always tune a car at operating temp. But i could be wrong but im sd tune and at operating temp. Not sure of the oil temp but water is at 180-190 afetr a full pull. I know in high heat car will run alittle sluggishwhen its 110 degrees outside and my intake temps approach 90 degrees but other than that is it running lean? a lean motor would rais temps aswell
Old 07-25-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, the oil temps you are seeing is normal and ok. The afr should not change much with a normal amount of timing being pulled. Maybe you should have your tuner cruise around with you and tune some street driving.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:53 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Change your oil to a 10w30 or a 10w40 and tell me what happens. Your cooking the oil by forcing it though the tight tolerances of the motor. Been there done that and its cheap to figure out. And it probably doesn't have anything to do with your coolant temps but probably the other way around just compounding the oil temp problems.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

PUT fans on the oil coolers and have them turn on at 240 oil temp.Yea 220 oil is good

The new oils can be run at 290 temp if need be. but the bearing will start to have issues around 300 i think.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Change your oil to a 10w30 or a 10w40 and tell me what happens. Your cooking the oil by forcing it though the tight tolerances of the motor. Been there done that and its cheap to figure out. And it probably doesn't have anything to do with your coolant temps but probably the other way around just compounding the oil temp problems.
I dont know if its going to be any different going from 20w-50 to 10w-40, and I dont want to go lower, im guessing oil pressure "might" drop way low whith the 10w-30 hot.

I will try it however, does this sound good?

Mobil1 0w-40 super synth oil. I also got some oil additive thats supposed to drop oil temps, ill get the name when i pass by the garage tomorow.

Keep the suggestions coming =)
Old 07-25-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BigRich954RR
PUT fans on the oil coolers and have them turn on at 240 oil temp.Yea 220 oil is good

The new oils can be run at 290 temp if need be. but the bearing will start to have issues around 300 i think.
ill put a fan on the first oil cooler only, for the time being - im doing that for a certain reason though - and ill wire it to a manual switch.

im also gonna add some sheetmetal on all sides of the coolers just to make sure the air flows through the coolers not around them
Old 07-25-2009, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
IMO, the oil temps you are seeing is normal and ok. The afr should not change much with a normal amount of timing being pulled. Maybe you should have your tuner cruise around with you and tune some street driving.
funny thing is, the tuner did tune the car partial throttle and cruise - on the dyno - might not sound like the smartest idea because the weird thing is that the car runs COOLER on the dyno than it does on the street >.< those dynodynamics dyno's have super strong fans and not to mention the hood stays open on the dyno.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
i agree,the oil goes through the motor, and it then goes to the turbos, it will be high after it comes out (cooling a lubricating). it also takes longer for oil to cool down than water
Old 07-28-2009, 06:17 AM
Shorty Director

Hey bro,

Yesterday I switched from 20w-50 to Amsoil 5w-30 and my oil temps dropped 15 degree's. I got on it some and it recovered back down faster. I might try 0w-30 or 40 and see if the temps drop further.

Quick Reply: Oil temp out of control