Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

MAF or Speed Density

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 12:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default MAF or Speed Density

I'm getting very close to running my prototype (5.3) in my 67 bird before installing the big boy (408) to work out any kinks and incase I torch anything, I want it to grenade the 5.3 not my 408, anyway... I've been beating the idea around back and forth, speed density or MAF? Your opinion? I need to know in advance I'm about to have the harness set up and would like to know if I need to 86 the maf connector or not and get tuning set up in advance for SD. Opinions? Thanks fellas!

Tony
Old 08-02-2009, 02:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what i have been told SD is the only way to go if you plan on making big power, from what i understand the MAF can only flow so much air in turn only make so much power.IMO i would just do it right the first time and go SD.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

agreed, SD for big numbers boosted!
Old 08-02-2009, 08:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not following this. Why would you waste time with a 5.3 when you have a 408?
You won't blow up a built 408 with forged parts easily unless you really mess up.
SD works great been running 3 bar for a few months now no complaints. Some guys even run open loop speed density 24/7 but right now am running closed loop speed density.Its simple to convert over and it does take some tweaking but you should be able to get the car pretty much up and running right off the bat.

I say go SD right away. You also get a separate table for boost pe and off boost pe.
Also if you are hptuners you can get real time tuning for their sd operating systems.
That is nice feature.

Just be conservative with your tuning reasonable afr and keep timing down and gradually build it up. If you follow hptuners switchover to sd suggestions they also have you setting up the boost regions of the ve richer at first to make sure the car is rich enough not too lean.

Course you need a wideband for your tuning.
Unless the 408 is going to be many months away I would as said not bother with the 5.3.