Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Overflow tank question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Overflow tank question...

I am running 2.75'' pipe through the battery hole on the passenger side of my 96 Z28 for my front mount intercooler. The bad news is I have to replace the overflow canister with a relocated one. Does anyone know how big an overflow tank is necessary for our application. Please keep in mind I have a be cool radiator so it has a little bit more water than the average system, but not much more.

If anyone has any pics/part numbers/ideas you think I could use in overcoming this minor set back I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance for the help.

Brandon
Old 08-07-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Junkie

I have a small canton fill tank mounted to the core support in front of where the battery used to be. I may be selling my OFI fill tank that tucks in behind the fuse boxes if you can't find anything else.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Can you send me a pic of it. WIll it fit an LT1 car. I'm not sure I will be able to use it though because my plumbing goes through the driverside hole too.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Ttt..
Old 08-12-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have looked at this before and never come up with a satisfactory answer in regard to the actual volume the cooling system needs for an overflow tank. I do know that I was thinking the same thing as you, but also wanted to keep it recirculating like factory no matter what size I ended up getting.

Every can I see sold aftermarket looks to be quite a bit less volume than the stock unit on an fbody, so either everyone missed the boat on that or we don't really need the huge volume that stock plastic unit holds.

Quick Reply: Overflow tank question...