Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

misfire at high boost

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default misfire at high boost

Well,

didnt put the car on the dyno since this incident, but will in two days time, however I can use some ideas.

I was having weird misfires at anything above say 8psi of boost. At 7.5psi everything was perfect, the plugs were new (however I cant remember the gap), the plug wires were probably on the dead side, as they came in contact with the hot manifold, car is an 08 so coild shouldnt have been the problem, but possibly since my tuner played with spark dwell at sometime, so something may have happened there.

I was also having some crankcase pressure (can that cause misfires?), since the engine was breathing from one rocker cover only. I now have them set as open breathers, each rocker cover directly to the air cleaner (didnt test yet)

my tuner said the car is "blowing spark" what exactly is blowing spark? It also seems to be chewing on plugs, I think I changed 7 sets already in a few months!! I can attribute that to improper AFR, but there might be something else behind this.

What I changed since then were:

ignition coils
plug wires
plugs #7 (gap?)
breather system
map sensor
battery
alternator
rocker covers
starter motor

I know some of those are irrelevant but ive gone insane and I need this thing to work so im changing everything.

Any ideas if this thing should work now?
Old 09-05-2009, 07:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Plug gap should be checked.

If the gap is too wide, the air flow will blow the spark out at high RPMs.

And if you are going through plugs due to impropper AFR, and your tuner isnt competent enough to check plug gap, I think I might be looking for a new tuner.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a lot of misfire wot problems . Both times it was not plugs but burned up wires. I finally went to factory ls1 f body heat shields and for me they seem to do the trick. Also running GMPP wires.I like the way the factory wires grab on. Nice positive fit and they dont' seem to fall apart when you take them on and off which is far too often for me lately.
Plugs should last long time especially if you run iridiums. I have non iridiums in currently autolite 103 which are equivalent to tr6 in heat range and gapped them to .028. Zero problems. There is zero reason to be going thru plugs even copper cheap tr6 or whatever should last 10,000 miles easy. What is happening to them. Too cold can foul out of course. 7 or 8psi you wouldn't need much more than a tr6 . You can run colder iridiums and not foul as easily as some copper ones.
Blowing out the spark can only happen at too big a gap or really high boost.
My car was sounding like a machine gun when had the burnt up wires.

So seriously a good set of plugs at .028. Wires with even factory heat shields that are not getting cooking on the manifolds and you shouldn't have any problems. You can also get truck coils ones with heat sink on top for more powerful spark. They are plug and play but may require a bit longer wires to reach depending on how you mount them.
I may switch to truck coils down the road but don't anticipate having to run past 15psi on my build once upgrade my turbos. Think stock coils can fire that. Would maybe go up a bit on dwell but that might be living dangerous. As said truck coils are pretty cheap especially if you find a used set.

If your plugs are detonating you for sure have big problems. And for sure need to get a new tuner if you are not running proper afr or way too much timing.
Greedy is not a good thing with timing or afr with FI builds.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:40 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was the car ever dyno tuned or are you still just running the base file I sent you?
Old 09-06-2009, 07:20 AM
TECH Resident

Jim, yup this was a while back when I dyno tuned the car, it was boosting fine till 7.5psi but acting weird a little bit above that. im just fixing a valve cover leak and should be heading back to the dyno in say 2 days well see what it does next.

Quick Reply: misfire at high boost