Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharger 4.5" intercooler with puller fan!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 01:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procharger 4.5" intercooler with puller fan!!!!

Ok so i got an idea but i dont no if it would even help at all. I may need Bob from epp to come in the tread and answer some questions.

After i though about this i got on spal fans website and found they make a 5.2" fan so i got to thinking if they make them that small im sure they make them smaller for motorcycles and atv's. The spal fan was like 400 cfm's or close to it. I wonder if that would help at all.

Does anyone know how much cfm's go through our 4.5" intercoolers or even a guess. I was looking around at my car and setup and it looks like if i could find a puller fan small enough to put on my interecooler it would work as there is room to mount them. If i do do this i will hook them up to a switch so i can turn them on and off when i please or even i 12v switched source for when the car starts they come on and when you shut the car off they go off!!

Just throwing out an idea to help incoming air temps into the intake, everyone knows the cooler the better. if anyone has any info to add go ahead and add it. if i can find out a rough number to how much flows through them and it would benifit or anything i will spend under 100 buck to try it out, the spal 5.2" fans were under 50 buck a peice.

I dont no its just a thought im sure someone has tryed it but hey maybe not?
Let me know if anyone knows of anyone thats tryed it and what there results were or if you think it would help in any way.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

IMO if you have 4.5 intercoolers then I would consider first installing an AlklyControl kit instead or other reliable kit.

It only runs on demand (boost) compared to your fans which would run constantly and will lower the intake air temp considerably more than two fans mounted on the IC's.

I recall Trust's TA was making over 700 rwhp on twin 4.5 intercoolers so they will support enough airflow to make BIG rwhp and he was running in OK where the temps in the summer are extremely hot compared to other more northern states.

In fact if I could do mine over, I wish I would have done that instead of removing all of the ATI pieces to install a front mounted intercooler. I could have saved a ton of money and not hack up the front end like you have to do if you install an FMIC. The money spent on an FMIC is much more than the best Alky Kit and far less labor and downtime. Another plus is that the much lower air temps allows much safer tunes, especially on motors that haven't been forged (stock bottem ends).

Blowing air through the IC's will cool just like fans mounted on transmission coolers, but a direct shot of alcohol into the air stream just ahead of the TB is much more effective.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 12-06-2009 at 02:26 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ya he ended up making over 800 to the wheels through the automatic, i almost bought that car but he took it off the market for a month and then i sold my cobra and bought the car i have now then his came back up for sale.

O well im really happy with my car and ya i have a meth kit on the way but the only way to get any air to the motor is through them even if your not boosting, so thats why i would do it i mean you would think it would help im sure if your pulling air through them even at cruzing speeds or around town im sure it would lower you incoming air temps alot more then someone would think. i dont no maybe not. Its just a thought i had
Old 12-06-2009, 02:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

As long as you don't get into boost and are just cruising or doing city driving I don't think the intercoolers are going to heat up that much.

When you do get into boost it's only for short periods. In fact in city driving I rarely get into boost - even on on ramps.

So will the IC's heat up and then not cool off after a short blast at full boost? Best way to find out if they do heat soak is to test and then take a reading with a Raytek temp gun.

For example: at 45-60 MPH there is a lot of ambient air being forced through the IC's to keep them cool because of the rear air dams on the IC's so I doubt seriously that they heat soak. And at 60 mph you are not under boost.

Tip: Make sure your system is venting to atmosphere rather than recycling through the air hat because that 'for sure' raises air intake temps.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 12-06-2009 at 02:54 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it is venting to the atmosphere and im not having any problems with it at all i was just wondering if it would help any at all.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i mean really the more i think about it, its not really gunna benifit you very much or any at all if i spray meth once i get into boost.
idk i was just looking at spal fans for some pushers as i no im gunna need them once i get done with my current project and the fan idea on my intercoolers just popped into my head so i figure i would see what every one thought about the idea.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

The variable that makes the most difference when considering to move from 4.5 IC's to an FMIC is how much boost you will be making. It's the compression of air that causes heat and it's the intercoolers function to extract the heat out of the compressed air.

I am sure Bob (EPP) has the answer to this - but I imagine there is a threshold whereby the 4.5 intercoolers don't have enough surface area to cool the additional heat created as a result of running 8 lbs of boost VS 15 lbs or higher.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ya well since i have the d1 and not an f series i will keep my twin 4.5's o love them.

Its not like i bracket race for money so i really dont have a need for a fmic over my twins. haha
Old 12-06-2009, 01:34 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW I installed 2 8" puller fans on my single horizontally mounted FMIC and then ended up taking them off because I didn't notice any difference in IATs with them turned on vs off. I know this was on a single big IC as compared to 2 smaller ones, but if I were in your boat, I wouldnt waste money on trying it out based on my past experience..
Old 12-07-2009, 04:37 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We generally notice the ProCharger twin 4.5" intercoolers work well through 12 psi of boost. Somewhere around 14 psi they get pretty hot and the inlet air temps tend to soar. We've successfully used methanol injection at 16 psi with the twin intercoolers on a Corvette C5 that was driven hard on a roadcourse, their ProCharger intercoolers are about the same as the ProCharger LS1 F Body intercoolers.
Here are two links to this C5, the first one is with the stock crank and a D-1SC. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=54
After several years of hard track use, we retired the 346 and started with a new LS2 block. We then switched to an F-1C ProCharger. Bob
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=40

Quick Reply: Procharger 4.5" intercooler with puller fan!!!!