Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbine position rotation question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default turbine position rotation question

i just received my gt67 to upgrade my worn 60-1 on my trucks STS system. the problem is my 60-1 has the exhaust inlet in the upward position and the outlet to the intake in the downward position. i received my gt67 which has both the outlet and the inlet in the same position. i am asking this question before doing anything. can i just unscrew the bolts and turn either the turbine or the compressor about 180 degrees to the desired position of my downpipe? im thinking its something simple since its just a matter of turning it and screwing it again however i was advised by a friend to not touch a bolt on the turbocharger because that will ruin it.
im not in the US so shipping it and waiting for another one is a pain.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes those bolts are made to rotate the exhaust and compressor housing the way you like them. You just want to keep the center section as close to straight up and down as possible.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

are there torque specs on those bolts?
Old 01-11-2010, 12:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

how could i know if there torque specs. i dont know that much about turbos and i dont want to risk damaging anything but to me it seems that simple.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:44 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sowaidi
how could i know if there torque specs. i dont know that much about turbos and i dont want to risk damaging anything but to me it seems that simple.
I have re arranged a couple turbos. They SUPPOSEDLY have a torque spec but I have no idea what the torque setting is...I tightened mine to the minimum I felt would keep the turbo clocked to where I wnated. The turbo will be held by the exhaust entry and exit and cold air in/out so the bolts aren't required to hold much of a load IMO.

What kind of HP did you get from your 60-1? Track times? Was it a T4? I have a butt mount and wondered how a real STS performed.

Thanks
Jack
Old 01-11-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sowaidi
my bad man, im in the same position as you, before i put my turbo on im going to have to rotate both hot and cold side housings of my 60 series T-netics. I was asking the question to anybody that reads this thread and knows the answer.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Becareful to not over tq the bolts because if u over tighten them they would cause the turbo to fail quicker. It dosent take much I would contact sts they can help you.

Quick Reply: turbine position rotation question