Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Fabricators - looking for hot side design tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fabricators - looking for hot side design tips

as the title says, does anyone have any tips for fabricating your hotside, specifically for twin turbo setups.
im looking for advice on the design of the manifolds. ac is gonna be gone, and im planning on getting a bmr turbo k member.
ive been thinking of building a twin setup with forward flowing log style manfolds, or possibly a set of manifolds setup like the aps kit, they'll be made of stainless steel though
im honestly just trying to make it fairly simple for a twin setup, im in a metal fabrication class and i have a 5 week long major project to do that hasnt started yet, im just doing prior research.
ive welded for about two years, and i know the f body like the back of my hand, this is the first major piping project ive ever done though.
any suggestions or even pictures of twin turbo setups would be helpful
thanks, Mark
Old 01-22-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you are aiming for simple, front sweep is the simplest. All your oiling, cooling, and whatnot gets harder if you hang the turbines below or aft of the motor. Obviously it's been done many times, but front sweep is easier.

That is, if you were going to go with stainless manifolds either way. With front sweeps, no AC and an aftermarket K you should be able to run everything over the K. The upside to rear mounting the turbos is you can use a really huge downpipe (or two) since you do not have to worry about the K.

Now if you could use some LS7 manifolds and dump them right into two big old turbos, that would be a different story, but I'm guessing part of the deal is you need to build most of it yourself.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You going to use tubing or piping?
Old 01-22-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

im not 100% sure of what im going to use yet, i figure 1 5/8" primarys? does that sound about right or should i go to 1 3/4"? i was planning on using 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 collectors.

the setup is going to be a lq4, forged pistons and rods, stock crank, and either o ringed or pyramid ringed, compression will be around 8.5:1 and its going to be running Methanol injection. i was wanting to run twin t70s, i havent decided on an AR yet for them.

ive even thought of going completely radical with the setup and top mounting the turbos, the car wouldnt be driven in the rain anyway. i just dont know how i would run the downpipes.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

All you can do is look around here and get ideas. And then depending on what your budget is, figure out what material your going to use. With no set budget most people on here will tell you that you have to spend boat loads of cash.

My personal preference is using 1.5" schedule 10 304 stainless. Its inside diameter is actually 1.62" and the outside is 1.90". And its strong enough to withstand heat, vibrations, and weight on it.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#45735k215/=5hm5b0

Quick Reply: Fabricators - looking for hot side design tips