Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pushing water. Once it happens, does it happen over and over again easier every time?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 04:00 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Pushing water. Once it happens, does it happen over and over again easier every time?

I was changing my plugs today and noticed that one of them obviously had some corrosion from water. Upon further investigation, I noticed that there are the remains of small water trail down the side of the block, coming from between the deck and head on the same cylinder.

I know that it happened on my last trip to the track because after thinking about it....I smelled antifreeze when I was putting it on the trailer. This was in November and the truck has not been driven since. I did have the truck running yesterday in the garage and I got it up to full operating temp and didn't smell any antifreeze and the cooling system was holding pressure. I loosened the cap after it cooled down a while and it definately had pressure in it. So its obviously sealed back up, but is it sealed back up to the point where I can back off the tune a bit and it will be ok, or have I started a problem that will just keep getting worse and worse?

FYI: I'm running a stock head with ARP bolts and multi-layer gaskets.

Need responses quick as I'm trying to decide if this thing is ok to race this weekend.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have read that they will seal back up and you will be ok. But you will have to address why they lifted first. Back in the day most guys lifted them from a aggressive tune and massive boost. But for example if your 9.1 on 7 psi and the heads lifted than u have a problem.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pushing combustion pressure out is the normal problem, if you have water in the cylinder you have a different problem.

Kurt
Old 02-17-2010, 11:06 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mine would push combustion out as kurt said and once it happened it only got worse from then on. had to pull the heads and replace gaskets.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My stock 4.8 pushed coolant at 14lbs on a REALLY aggressive E85 tune. Did it one night on the street when I was tuning for the track the next day. Backed the boost down to 11 psi and it was ok, ran it more that night and then took it to the dyno the next day. Still not pushing water. When to the track that night, make one pass and coolant all over the interfender from the over flow tank. Backed the boost down to 7psi and no more problems for the next 2 months while I put another motor together.

Quick Reply: Pushing water. Once it happens, does it happen over and over again easier every time?