Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharger belt questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 08:25 AM
11Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Procharger belt questions

*sigh* I'm having belt slip issues with the stock tensioner setup (8-rib).

I'm not going to ask what type of belt to use because I know there's threads all over about what people have used on these things. I have a couple other questions, however. The first is this... my car has been down for almost a year and has just recently come back to life. All the time it sat in the garage the belt was on and tight. I noticed that it was stretched since it went on easier than they usually do. I was able to tighten it down without bottoming out the tensioner. Do you think the belt's life was shortened by just sitting there? Basically, I guess my question is whether the problem is that the belt is toast or if it's just not tight enough.

The second question is whether or not there is a rule of thumb on how tight to make the belt. I'm very skittish about tightening these belts. The first time I took the car to get tuned for the blower, the shop tightened the belt so hard that a few miles later the blower pulley sheered the bolts right off in the balancer and then went skittering down the road. The irony is that the reason the car wasn't making boost is because the vacuum line feeding the bypass valve was too small in diameter. I kept telling them I thought that might be a problem, but they kept insisting it was belt slip.

So, do you guys have any words of wisdom for me? The car made freakin' 6psi on a highway run today, and it made 14-15psi in its former glory with the same pulley.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sure wish procharger would address this issue already. when I had my D1 setup with the 8 rib stock tensioner I had to tighten the belt down extremely tight also and still occasionaly delt with belt slip. I wound up going to the SDCE tensioner and have been trouble free with both my builds. EPP seems to have decent success with the stock setups. I would give Bob a call over there and ask his advise

Quick Reply: Procharger belt questions