Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

maf location

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maf location

i'm going to be putting a vortech v9 on very soon. I want to run a regular turbo bov instead of the bypass valve that comes with it. (yes, its for the sound, putting on flame suit). I have owned turbo cars before and am very well aware of the problem of having the bov after the maf. My question is, how capable is the maf on a blow through setup, and do they make an extension harness for the wires so I can relocate it?
Old 04-21-2010, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just get rid of the MAF and get speed density tune. How much boost do you plan on making?
Old 04-21-2010, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Around 9 psi
Old 04-21-2010, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keeping the MAFS will allow much better daily driveability. Just dropping the MAFS and tuning for speed density is not the way to go for a street car. I know the speed density tuning is popular in the GM crowd but there are better ways.

I kept my MAFS and run it blow-through. Here are a few tips that will allow it to have the smoothest airflow across it for the most accurate metering. Locate your BOV pre-FMIC if you can. This will ensure that the huge amount of extra turbulence after just blowing off doesn't make it to the MAFS and make it go haywire for a split second. Second try to locate he MAFS about 12" "downwind" of any bends or diameter transitions in the charge tube. If possible try to keep about 4"-6" of straight tube post MAFS too but this isn't quite as critical to achieving laminar airflow, though it is adviseable. I am on stock MAFS making a little over 500rwhp/570rwtq with my car and the thing drives like stock. Some stock MAFS have more range than others so make sure you are logging to see if you are pegging your stock meter or not. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: maf location