Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Bought used STS kit and found small amount of oil inside intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought used STS kit and found small amount of oil inside intercooler

A few months ago I bought a used STS kit with the T60 turbo and intercooler, guy I bought it from said the kit had about 8k miles on it. Everything seems fine no shaft play on the turbo, so I was going to start mocking up the intercooler on the car and noticed a very small amount of oil residue on the inside of the intercooler. Its very minor amount was able to clean it with a shop rag, but enough to make me wonder where it came from, Ive heard of oil getting in the intake on boosted engines because they are not runing a catch can/proper pcv system, could that be the case that the guy before me wasnt runing a catch can therefore had alot of blow by? or could there be something wrong with the turbo?
Old 08-19-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Proably had a check valve go bad on him. If its pouring out then I would double check the oil pump and check valve.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:47 AM
Staging Lane

thanks, its not pouring out just a small film of oil along the bottom of the intercooler, could runing a catch can solve this problem?
Old 08-20-2010, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

You need to get all of that oil out of the intake system. Just spray out all of the intake tubing and the intercooler with brake cleaner. If you don't the oil in the intake can cause detination which is never a good thing. If there is a problem it would be with the shaft seals inside of the turbo. No easy way to check this on a rear mount but keep an eye for leaks under the turbo.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

most likely its your check valve. If they get any trash in there they can get hung open or wore out. STS has a step by step check/replacement pdf they can send you via email. Theres always a chance you could have a bad seal but i doubt it.

Quick Reply: Bought used STS kit and found small amount of oil inside intercooler