Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Forced Induction ? and stock components

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 06:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Forced Induction ? and stock components

Okay I know this is the C6 forum, but I have some questions about the stock ZR1/LS9 components.

I am putting together parts for my C5 FRC build and have a few questions about the stock ZR1/LS9 components.

I am strange in this build, as I would like to use as many stock components as I can, so my question is below:

Will the stock LS9 valvetrain be suitable as a replacement in my LS1 which I will be running 5-7 lbs of turbo boost through?

I am going to purchase a stock LS9 cam and front cover to replace my current cam.

I have NO intention of taking the motor apart beside the cam and valvesprings, and an oil pump while it is apart. The motor is very stout 45k miles, and I just want to bring myself up to C6 Z06 power levels in my car.

I will probably only put 4-5k miles on the car a year. I WANT OE reliability, as I already have some aftermarket parts (cam and valvesprings) that i am selling for this reason.

Thoughts please any and all considered.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:05 AM
TECH Veteran

what kind of car do you have??

And your stock valve train is more then capable of "5-7" lbs of boost, lol

your internals are more then capable of 5-7 lbs of boost, THE TUNE IS WHATS GOING TO MATTER AT THESE LEVELS.

did you read any of the stickys???

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...lity-list.html

i know you said top end, but read anywayz
Old 10-21-2010, 07:24 AM
TECH Regular

thanks, I have read that. I just wanted input on how well the LS9 stuff will hold up. I want to upgrade the stock valvetrain to newer components, just not aftermarket.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:33 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the LS9 cam a 3 bolt design or does it have the one big single bolt up front? I don't know. Also, can the LS1 cam pickup read the back of the LS9 cam or do you need to switch over to the LS2 front cover with the LS2 timing chain set in order to make it work? If so, you will need to flip the outside pins in the connector harness.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Is the LS9 cam a 3 bolt design or does it have the one big single bolt up front? I don't know. Also, can the LS1 cam pickup read the back of the LS9 cam or do you need to switch over to the LS2 front cover with the LS2 timing chain set in order to make it work? If so, you will need to flip the outside pins in the connector harness.
3 bolt, have to convert everything, which i am fine with.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

Why not just get a better cam thats more specific to your application rather than spending unncessary money converting?
Old 10-21-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
Why not just get a better cam thats more specific to your application rather than spending unncessary money converting?
I am wanting to use all OE components. Plus it is cheaper than a spec'ed cam.