Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: Really really ridiculously large IC or just a kinda big one?
Don't go too big, keep it moderate-large sized.
57.14%
Go really big or go home!
42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

A2W and A2A Intercoolers. Is bigger always better?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 05:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A2W and A2A Intercoolers. Is bigger always better?

Simple question probably has a bunch of answers. This applies for both A2A and A2W.

Are there adverse effects by using to large of an intercooler? (core size. end tank design is another can of worms)

-347-9.5cr-twin 3076r-
Old 10-22-2010, 05:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default dont go with big huge junk!

depends on the intercooler core how efficient it is and also what are your goals some of those "ebay" large 1000hp intercoolers or so are cheap china crap and there psi drop is so bad and made very thin and cheap theres a formula for hp to cubic inch of core not sure what it is but i do know anyting over 24" of core isnt doing anything but adding weight this guy is one of the best he builds them for some of the turbo companies i know for sure he out flowed precision!! www.ircfabrication.com names marti here is his email address marty@ircfabrication.com he will build one bad *** a/a or a/w for cheap not ebay cheap but close tell him sean from port st lucie florida he will remember me
Old 10-22-2010, 06:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lordrazo
depends on the intercooler core how efficient it is and also what are your goals some of those "ebay" large 1000hp intercoolers or so are cheap china crap and there psi drop is so bad and made very thin and cheap theres a formula for hp to cubic inch of core not sure what it is but i do know anyting over 24" of core isnt doing anything but adding weight this guy is one of the best he builds them for some of the turbo companies i know for sure he out flowed precision!! www.ircfabrication.com names marti here is his email address marty@ircfabrication.com he will build one bad *** a/a or a/w for cheap not ebay cheap but close tell him sean from port st lucie florida he will remember me
Thanks for the reply. I'm with you, the ebay cores work but you get what you pay for.

Since I have the room, my Q is - Is it inefficient to use an intercooler that's GINORMOUS?
Old 10-22-2010, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the space for 2 of these. I'll most likely have something fabricated with correctly sized INLET/OUTLET. Would I be losing anything by going too big?

Application is a 12-16 psi road race/street 911.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:56 PM
TECH Regular

Hmm this is very interesting on a road race application. How would plan on keeping the water cool with the A2W, run a heat exchanger up front? Most of the big A2W setups are 4" piping, I would think that one would be sufficient for you purposes.

You could also run two smaller ones like LMR did on their 2000hp rear-mount vette.

Maybe some more experienced guys will chime in on this.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 03supercobra
Hmm this is very interesting on a road race application. How would plan on keeping the water cool with the A2W, run a heat exchanger up front? Most of the big A2W setups are 4" piping, I would think that one would be sufficient for you purposes.

You could also run two smaller ones like LMR did on their 2000hp rear-mount vette.

Maybe some more experienced guys will chime in on this.
Yeah, I've got an import drag racer mini aluminum radiator I'll be using for the exchanger, something like koyo? It cost some money and it's the best fit without fab'ing something up. 55 gpm meziere EWP will be used. I'm still deciding on an ice tank location.

The reason I'm leaning towards A2W is that I can fit a flush decklid (no wing).

My question isn't whether I can keep the IAT down or not, well not entirely, I guess what I'm asking is, is there a point when to big is a problem...within reason. A2W should be fine for the 20 minute open track day sesh's.

Quick Reply: A2W and A2A Intercoolers. Is bigger always better?