Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Can someone school me on Boost reference fuel regulation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Can someone school me on Boost reference fuel regulation?

I know bits and pieces but have never read about what is required. As I understand it, my F-boat has no fuel return line. I did see at least three hoses coming off the fuel pump when I did the pump change. Do you need a return? If yes, where do you tap into the tank? What pressure do you sent the regulator at? I assume the vacuum port reacts to boost. Does it bump up the pressure? Thanks
Old 11-01-2010, 01:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it generally increases with boost at a 1 to 1 ratio or a 2 to 1 ratio. You will need a return, alot of guys just run a new supply line and use the old supply for the return. This is generally a good setup for awhile.

The regulator is also generally a set ratio. 1 or 2 to 1. you will know which one it is when ordering. i would say that most people use a 1:1 regulator.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stock fuel system has a return that is teed in just forward of the fuel filter on the drivers side just to the rear of the driver. The regulator is on the end of that return line in the tank. It is not adjustable.

Like Jax said, many just run a new feed line and us the stock line as a return. Just take the regulator off that is in the tank and replace or bypass the stock filter before you do it or you will end up backwashing it and sending any debris that it has caught, back into your fuel tank. You'll want a 1:1 regulator and you'll attach a reference vaccum/boost line to it from the intake. Set it where ever you want. I'd say between 43-60 psi with the line disconnected and the pump running. When you hook it up it'll pull the pressure down a little from the vacuum. This is normal. At zero vacuum it'll be at base and then climb from there under boost.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys
Old 11-02-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

I have another question. I thought that blob on the factory fuel rails was a fuel regulator? Do all the F-Body fuel pump assemblies have a built in regulator? I bought a spare fuel pump tank assembly off ebay. Installed a 255 LPR pump and digital in dash fuel pressure gauge. I am seeing fuel pressure around 70 psi. It drops down into the 60's when the fans kick on.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Gingervitis Addict

IIRC, only the 97 vettes (and some trucks) had a regulator on the rail (as far as LS1s go). You can tell them because they have 2 fuel lines to the intake.

The little cannister on the rail is to buffer the pulses (so each time an injector opens the pressure doesn't drop as much).
Old 11-02-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slow67
IIRC, only the 97 vettes (and some trucks) had a regulator on the rail (as far as LS1s go). You can tell them because they have 2 fuel lines to the intake.

The little cannister on the rail is to buffer the pulses (so each time an injector opens the pressure doesn't drop as much).

Thanks for coming up with cannister. Makes a lot more sense that blob. Most of the after-market setups I see don't have it. Is there a noticeable change in performance without it?