Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

unleaded race gas vs xylene mix?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 05:58 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default unleaded race gas vs xylene mix?

i have done the xylene mix trick many times, probably ran 100gallons of the stuff thru my motor. it helps alot, with my whipple i was able to run at least 3 more psi probably could have ran 4 more psi.

i am seting up a 6.0 with a t76 now and will want to push it i am sure, looking at my alternatives.

the xylene at a 33% mix with 92 gas is about 2.66/gal and about 100 octane

i can get race fuel by the drum and pump it right into my tank, they sell 2 diferent grades of unleaded.

101 is 3.32/gallon
105 is 4.12/gallon
just for reference 92 is 1.90/gallon right now

anyone have any opionions or info to share? are there any known draw backs to the xylene, i went thru alot of it with no problems but that dosen't mean there aren't any.

does anything make the race fuel better than the xylene?
Old 03-25-2004, 06:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used 3-55 gsllon drums of xylene with my turbotech LS1. I'll switch to an Alky kit with the incon.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:43 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Theres other stuff you can add into the Xylene, for different reasons, but the Xylene in itself mixed with the gas should not pose any problems. There are several different formulas out to make race gas, most all use Xylene, and to my knowledge, there hasnt been any updates to those formulas.
I would stick with the Xylene mix, cheaper!
Old 03-26-2004, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used a lot of toluene and xylene at up to 30%. I don't think it's as good as people think. I don't think even at 30% mixed with 93 pump it's comparable to a real 100 unleaded race gas. At least in my car it's not.
I also found what happens when you let the stuff sit in your tank over the winter of about 4 months.
The car would hardly run, plugs turned diesel black, full of dry soot in seconds. Never saw anything like it!

Quick Reply: unleaded race gas vs xylene mix?